Prologue

The large white dog sniffed at the unconscious cat laying in his field. He didn't recognize the cat as one of his but couldn't be sure. He looked around the field but only saw his many sheep and goats grazing peacefully. He looked back down and pondered what he should so about the cat because it was clearly still alive. He sat and thought for a while before deciding he would bring the cat back to Master when it was time to bring the sheep and goats home. Yes, he thought. A good plan for a good dog.

The large dog made his way slowly through the fields as he led the sheep and goats back home for the evening. He was a lumbering brute who although as large as the sheep, was kind to the animals on his farm. In his mouth he carried the limp cat gently, trying not to hurt it with his large teeth. Up ahead he saw Master waiting by the open gate to welcome the livestock home. Once all the sheep and goats were safety back in their pens, the white dog padded up to Master and reached out with the limp cat. Master scratched his head and bent down, gingerly taking the cat,

"Good boy Brody," Master patted the big white dog on the head. "This poor thing would surely have died without you my wonderful boy." Brody nodded in agreement and wagged his big log of a tale back and forth. Master reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of beef jerky he had specially been saving for his boy Brody and handed it to the dog who swallowed it in one slobbery gulp. As Master walked away Brody made his way over to the barn where the hay and feed was stored. He peeked inside and called,

"Hello, it is me, Brody,"

"We know its you, Brody," came the sarcastic voice as a brown tabby she-cat with white paws and a white underbelly emerged from the hay. She shook off the old dried grass and leapt down to the first level of hay and was on Brody's level. Behind her three more cats appeared and came bounding down the wall of hay.

"Good evening good boy," welcomed a long haired white tom with grey across his back and head with striking blue eyes. 

"Are any of you guys missing?" Brody asked, looking around.

"Missing?" the long haired tom blinked then looked around to count. "I think we are all here Brody. Why would we be missing?"

"I found a cat in the field today," Brody licked the dirt off his nose and released a breath that smelled strongly of beef jerky. The long haired tom had to focus hard not to cough.

"In the field? Really? Must be a feral," the first she-cat piped up. "Those nasty things just dirty and mean running around out there."

"I brought the cat to Master," Brody offered, not sure if he was still a good boy.

"What did Master do?" The long haired tom asked.

"Took it into the house." Brody shrugged.

"Well Master will know what to do with it. It is probably dead anyway," the she-cat sneered. The cats and Brody sat in silence for a moment before the long haired tom let out a big sigh,

"Anything else Brody?" he asked sweetly.

"Did I do a Good Dog thing?" Brody asked casually.

"Yes Brody." the long haired tom rolled his eyes. "Now go do your thing with the sheep and goats." the big brute of a dog got up and smiled a slobbery smile before reaching out and giving the tom a huge wet lick. With that he turned and left the barn to attend to his flock.

"Gross," the tom muttered to himself as he lifted his paw and felt the sticky slobber against his pads.

"Better you than me." the she-cat laughed.