Chapter 1 - Haven

"Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear juliet! Out from the window see her back-drop silhouette, this blood on my hands is something I will not forget-" Escape The Fate's 'Not Good Enough for Truth in Cliche' plays on a bluetooth speaker set atop a hand-painted dresser. At six I'm supposed to be meeting my friends at this old abandoned building we hang out in all the time. We go there so often that it's like going to a party or lounge, we have chairs and tables, our friend Vee even was able to hook up electricity so we hooked up lights and speakers. It's four right now, and I'm in the middle of touching up my chipped black nails. I push a strand of hair behind my ear, bobbing my head carelessly along to the music blasting inside my bedroom. Kicking aside some sheets, I grab a hair tie with the hand that is dry and pull my hair back into a messy bun, sick of having to push it back constantly. A couple minutes pass and my nails are done, they're messy as all hell but who cares. What am I supposed to do to paint my right hand? I gotta use my left, and I'm right handed, so that's just a disaster waiting to happen. Anyway- after both hands are dry I grab my phone and double check with the group chat that we're still going to meet up, getting a quick yes from Vee. Vee is always on their phone, they're a tech genius, hence the whole electrical system they set up at our spot. I crank my music up, tossing my phone beside me on the bed and walking over to my closet. I swing open the hand-painted door, sighing as I scan the (mostly black) array of clothes in my wardrobe. I grab some regular blue jeans with rips at the knees, the type that are wider on your leg. Then I grab a My Chemical Romance t-shirt, the Black Parade Album tee. A blank tank-top for under that, there's been instances where I've overheated at a get together like this. Socks and my platform doc martens, a black double-grommet belt, and I'm off to get dressed. I hum and mumble along to the loud music as I change, once done making my way over to my vanity. I change my earrings to little metal ones with chains and charms. My fourth earlobe piercing is relatively new so there's just a normal stud in that one. I find some chains and put them on, my normal Kandi and other bracelets as well. I then remember a new hip chain I bought, it's more chunky and the chain is white. I put that on. Back to my vanity to do my makeup. My usual makeup is just thick winged eyeliner that connects to my waterline and is smoked out with black eyeshadow, mascara, light blush and highlighter, and very light rosy lips. I'm not doing anything fancy, so I just do that. For a second I stare at myself in the mirror and think about doing black lipstick today, eventually settling on yes, and doing that. I puff up my hair a bit, my hair is usually cooperative and is really tame and looks nice almost all the time. I got lucky with that I guess, all my friends say they wish they had my hair, etcetera etcetera. I glance at myself in my full sized mirror, and I look pretty okay. I grab my rainbow lanyard and shove it partly in my pocket, packing a small bag of snacks and drinks, my phone and its charger, and I leave. Driving there I listen to loud music, music is one of my favorite things and one thing all my friends say about me is that I'm almost always listening to music. I make music too. I'm not great, but I try, usually just quick little sad songs on my guitar or piano.

"Guess what, another game over, I got burned but you're the real loser! I don't know why, I wasted my time with you, whoa-"

'You Suck at Love' by Simple Plan is the song playing as I park behind a pile of rubble and turn my car off. Gathering my things, I can already hear music playing from inside and some laughing. I respond to a text from my mom asking when I'll be home while I walk inside, shoving my phone in my pocket and lifting my head to meet Vee's eyes and see their smiling face.

"Why so happy?" I ask, cracking a small smile and light laugh.

"What do you mean? I'm normal, being totally super normal-" Vee tries to play it off, but the grin on their freckled face says otherwise.