Chapter 3: The Journey Begins

Sitaara, Layla, and Wasteland had made a decision; they were just going to leave camp for a week and let the other lionesses watch their cubs. They didn't want to talk to Polema, and they thought that it would be good survival practice to spend that week of punishment away from pride territory. They all felt confident, and so they set off on their journey at the third day of the dry season, before sunrise.

The three friends had dug up a warthog and had an early breakfast, while it was still a bit dark outside. Their bellies full, they then continued walking, until they found a place to stay for the week.

The blood orange sun pulled itself over the hills. Its majestic yet deadly rays shone upon the land, creating splotches and fields of golden light. That golden light outlined everything in the savanna. The Serengeti was now a pool of sunlight. Waves of heat were visible, rising above the ground and vanishing into the air. Sunrise had passed, and a long, action packed day awaited the lionesses.

"I know we sort of doomed the pride, but it's stupid that the leader gave us this punishment." Wasteland snorted angrily.

"Well, we did create quite a disaster. We're actually lucky we got this punishment, Polema could have banished us for real - or worse - killed us!" Layla tried to calm Wasteland down. Sitaara was about to say she agreed with Layla, but she bit her tongue before the words could come out; she didn't want to make Wasteland more angry.

"I guess." Wasteland muttered.

It was now afternoon, and the lionesses had found a place to settle; a small sandy clearing with a rock sticking out of it and a small acacia just outside of it. The friends sunbathed and chatted, and eventually dusk had arrived. The blazing sun was very hot. The faintest stars started appearing in the sky, and the savanna was tinted reddish gold, even more vibrant than it was at sunrise. The friends moved on from chatting about random things, to planning their next hunt. They decided that they would begin searching for prey at night, so that the hot sun wouldn't tire them. Now they waited.

The sun had set. The savanna was still light, but most certainly not as light as before. Sitaara stretched. "So should we begin the search?" She questioned.

"Sure, I'm ready." Layla replied.

"Ugh, I was so comfortable... but yeah let's hunt." Wasteland reluctantly got up and shook her pelt. She padded off into the plains, the other lionesses following her. They cantered through the grass, making sure not to miss any prey that could have been hiding.

The friends skidded to a halt when they saw a lone buffalo grazing nearby. It powerfully tore out chunks of grass, chomping them down. Its head was below its shoulders, and it was oblivious to the hunters nearby. It continued to devour the grass carelessly. A warm gust of wind blew through the Serengeti, and that was when the lionesses knew it was a good time to pounce. They sprung out of the grass, kicking up clouds of dust, running as fast as the wind. Wasteland's jaws locked around the buffalo's neck before it could run. It bucked the air ferociously, causing Wasteland to fall off, tumbling onto the sandy floor. The buffalo tried to run, but it felt a sharp pain in its leg as it was pulled back by Layla. Now Sitaara leaped onto its back, while Wasteland stood up and pulled on its front leg, making it fall. The lionesses continued attacking.

In about half an hour, the kill was made. They all began tearing meat from the carcass, starved after the hunt. Sitaara lifted her head, her left ear flicking back. She opened her bloodstained muzzle and let out a low growl. The others immediately picked up on what was happening, considering they heard nearby cackles and barks. They were high pitched and painful to listen to. It sounded like there were many, as well. Wasteland stood up and roared, then bolted into the grass. Sitaara and Layla heard painful yips rise from where Wasteland sprinted off to. More yips arose from the tall grass. "Layla, you protect the kill. I'll go fight off the scavengers with Wasteland." Sitaara growled. Layla nodded as Sitaara cantered into the grass. She saw Wasteland with a lifeless African wild dog hanging from her jaws. More bodies were scattered around the sandy floor, Wasteland was doing a good job. Sitaara pounced on two African wild dogs, crushing them. At last, the fight was over and the African wild dogs retreated into the night.

"Hah, shows those dogs not to steal our kills!" Wasteland snarled triumphantly.

"Yeah, we are way bigger and stronger than them." Sitaara agreed, grooming one of the wounds on her paw. They both returned to the kill and this time finished it.