PROLOGUE

December 23, 1960
     Anastasia strutted into the commune, a smirk plastered on her face. A girl began walking up to her, sporting a weird headband, 40 different necklaces, and patterns that in no way went together.

     'You really had nothing else in your wardrobe?'

     'What?' the girl tilted her head.

     'Seriously, killing you will be a mercy. Mercy to my eyes,' she blinked, 'Somni,' the girl dropped to the floor in a deep slumber.

Anastasia followed her ears to the heart of the commune, seeing all of the residents gathered in a courtyard for some sort of celebration.

     'Sometimes, they make this way too easy,' she said under her breath. 'Phasmatos somni,' the music stopped, and everything went quiet; bodies passed out on the ground.

     She sighed, looking around. 'Well, this is dreadfully boring,'

Anastasia focused on her surroundings, trying to play music in her head. It would've taken much less effort, but her magic was running low. On cue, the radio turned back on, playing her favourite songs. 'Much better,' she nodded.

     'Now let's see,' she looked around her, counting the unconscious people lying around her. 'One, two, three- six- twelve-- eh, just kill them all,' she decided.

     She closed her eyes, focusing on the music and the people lying around her. She visualised life draining out of them, heartbeats slowing, her power growing stronger. The fire in the courtyard's centre blazed hotter and brighter, threatening to explode.

Anastasia levitated a few feet off the ground, power seeping into her. She could feel it coursing through her veins. She drew it in, more and more, until suddenly, there was nothing left to take.

     Setting both feet back on the ground, she cut the music, strutting right back out the way she came. This time, however, she was greeted by a few familiar faces.

     'Tommy Parker– didn't think I'd be seeing you after I dumped your best friend,'

     'An, this has to stop,'
     'What has to stop?'

     'There were forty people in there. They didn't deserve to die,'

     'You act like it wasn't your father who taught me about expression,'

     'Look, you have two options here, surrender peacefully and find your way back to the light, or face imprisonment,'

     'Imprisonment? Is this my Christmas present? Or is that what you're into these days? Does my ex know about this? That you want to chain me up and tie me down?' she smirked.

     'That's enough!' a new voice cut into the conversation.

     'Jeremy Hartford– didn't think you'd have the balls to show up today. I mean, we both know you've never been one for courage. That's why you've always had Tommy boy over here fighting your battles for you,'

     'What happened to you? You said we were going to get married,'

     'Oh, grow up. I said that when we were eighteen. If you're going to take the things I said when we were teenagers and expect me to stick to them, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment,'

     'Come on, An, we're giving you a chance. You can get it all back,'

     'I don't want it back; I have more power than your small minds could ever comprehend,' she spat, 'And now I'm giving you a chance, stay out of my way,' she said, pushing past the line of Gemini witches.

    'Sangiema mean et nos mundo carcerema. Sangiema mean et nos mundo carcerema,' they began chanting.

     'No,' Anastasia said, directing her magic at a few witches at a time, sending them flying back.

     'Sangiema mean et nos mundo carcerema,'

     Her attempts were feeble. She dropped to her knees, unwilling to succumb to the spell, focusing all her magic on overpowering the Gemini's magic.

     Suddenly, the chanting subsided, and she became aware of immense silence.

     'Dammit!' she shouted, sending out a shockwave.