OUR CURSE

It takes a little over six hours to get from Connecticut to LAX and let me just say that the brown blanket of smog filling the air is to die for.

Literally...

I don't know how anyone lives in this city and doesn't have lung cancer. Or how they're not growing a third eye somewhere.

As I exit the plane, Tristan joins me. Taking my bag out of my hand and slinging it over his shoulder. Then he shoots me a look over his shoulder that steals the air right out of my lungs.

Damn my grandpa and his excellent choice in guys...

Where did he find this guy anyway?

Panty-droppers-R-Us.

Clearing my throat, I force my feet to keep moving and the corners of his lips curl up into a smile.

"I'll take that." Lucas snatches my bag from him while he's distracted.

Now I'm the one smirking.

Jealous exes to the rescue...

"You've got some very rude friends," Tristan tells me. "Are they always this... confrontational?"

"Pretty much," I nod. "They're like dogs fighting over their favorite tree."

"And you would be the tree?"

"In the flesh."

"Mm," he moans. Undressing me with his eyes. "I've never wanted a splinter so badly in all my life."

Oh. My. GOD.

Blushing, I turn away from him and he laughs.

Amused.

If I keep blushing like this, I won't have any blood left in my face to combat my already pale complexion.

"Ali," Lucas comes back for me after taking my bag to safety.

And by safety, I mean away from Tristan.

Because God forbid my bag fall into the hands of Tristan's scary six-foot two frame with his equally as scary washboard abs.

Rolling my eyes, I exit the plane. Both Ethan and Lucas flank me on each side with the Syndicate and Lucas' Daemons filling in the space in front and behind us. Blocking Celeste, Tristan, and the Syth from reaching me.

But Tristan isn't fazed.

He seems more amused than anything.

Especially when he gets my car door for me and both Ethan and Lucas glower at him. Wishing death on him a million times over.

I get why Ethan is bothered by him. But I'm not sure if Lucas' annoyance with Tristan is because of the hijacked bond, his loyalty to Ethan, or him not wanting an outsider to outshine him.

"She rides with me," Lucas tells him. "You and the rest of the snow heads get your own car."

"Snow heads?" Tristan raises his brow at him. Then he flashes Lucas a smile I know grates on his nerves. "I like that."

Rolling his eyes, Lucas checks to make sure his people are in the car and then he speeds off. Not caring if he runs over a few of Tristan's toes in the process. And Tristan's laughter quickly follows.

"For the record... I hate that guy," Lucas tells me.

"Really?" I blink innocently at him. "I couldn't tell."