Interlude- Neria Surana

Eleven years ago

"No! Mamae!" Neria screeched as the Templars came in and grabbed her roughly. Her mother had tears in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Nerie. But you are a mage. You belong in the Circle of Magi." Her mother told her.

"No, I don't! I want to stay here with you and Papi! Please, Mamae!" Neria cried.

She had fought and kicked against the Templars until they put her into the carriage. She proceeded to scream and cry until she noticed the dark haired human boy sitting in the corner of the carriage with her. He was around 7 for sure- a couple years older than little 5 year old Neria.

"I...I'm Neria." She said, voice scratchy from screaming. The boy flinched.

"I...I'm Jowan." He responded. "You're an elf."

Neria swallowed hard. "Y-yes. You're a shem!" She retorted, and they got into their first fight, screaming hateful names at each other and scratching and pulling hair. They made up, though.

They always did.
Present Time
I'm going to go through the Harrowing....I will survive...I will pass...I will!

Neria lay in bed after hearing the news from Irving. She was 16 and she was going to go through the Harrowing. Funny though...Jowan and her had been here for the same amount of time, but he was 18 now! He should have taken the Harrowing years ago! Even Solona would be taking it when she hit her 16th birthday. Neria felt so frightened of this, she wished she could ask Jowan about it. She knee he would tell her if he knew...but he hadn't ever been through the Harrowing, so he couldn't tell her what to expect. So what if Jowan wasn't the most handsome- or even the most bravest or kindest- guy sometimes? He was the only one she truly trusted and felt close to. He was the only one who truly knew her.
And I love him for it.