20 | 温かいシャワー [M]

SHE RUMMAGED FOR HER BOOTS and coat, pulled them on then followed Jimin out of the barn. They stepped into the kitchen, stamping the snow from their feet. She shrugged out of her coat, pulled her boots off again and padded into the living room.

It amazed her that already she sought out the presence of the others. Wanted to know where they were. Felt secure around them.

Taehyung was on the computer and Jungkook was sprawled on the couch watching television. She walked over and crawled onto the couch with Jungkook, her confidence bolstered by her act in the barn. Besides, she wanted a good cuddle after her romp with Jimin.

Jungkook snaked his arm around her and nestled her against his chest. His brow arched as he took in her rumpled appearance.

“You and Jimin have a good time?”

She flushed and ducked her head, resting it on his shoulder.

He chuckled as he smoothed her hair from her cheek. She yawned and snuggled closer against his body.

When Jennie awoke, she found herself alone on the couch. She blinked sleepily and looked around the room to find it empty. Yawning broadly, she sat up and squinted at the clock. At least she hadn’t slept the entire day away.

She got up and padded to the kitchen. A glance out the pane glass of the back door told her Taehyung was chopping wood. She guessed Jungkook and Jimin were either tending the horses or doing other chores.

She sat down on one of the barstools and cupped her chin in her palms. What was she going to do here? What kind of contribution could she make? She knew from her talks with the men that they guided during hunting season, but she wasn’t entirely sure what they did for the rest of the year.

A disgusted sigh escaped her. She mentally ticked off her qualities and stopped before she reached five. She wasn’t a brainless twit, but even she had to admit, she hadn’t done much in life on her own.

Poor little rich girl. She winced at the apt description then shook her head in denial. No, she wasn’t that helpless creature any longer.

Her parents had both been killed in the same accident when she was still a teenager. A distant cousin had overseen her inheritance until she reached twenty-one at which point she’d been solidly on her own. Only it hadn’t taken her long to seek the shelter of kai's authority.

A wry smile twisted her lips. She’d been such an idiot. Thank God she’d waken up and taken steps to protect herself before it was too late.

She had no doubt had she stayed with kai, she’d probably be dead. Or worse.
Completely under his thumb.
Here, she felt free. Free to be herself. Free of her stupid past. It was a chance to start over and finally do things right. Make the right choices.

“Don’t screw this up, Jennie,” she muttered.

She glanced again at the clock then stood up. She had time for a shower before supper. When the men came in, she’d ask what she could do to help out around the cabin.

Jennie walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower. She stepped away and slipped out of her pants then walked to the sink in just her shirt while she waited for the water to heat.

She glanced at her reflection in the mirror and winced at the god-awful color of her hair. When they went to Seoul, she was going to make a stop at a salon so she could get them to repair the dye job.

Behind her, she saw steam start to rise from the shower. She began to unbutton her flannel shirt when the door opened. She looked up to see Jungkook walk in.