22 | 聖人ではない

She heard the door open behind her, and she squeezed her eyes harder shut.

“Jennie.”

Taehyung walked to stand beside her. She opened one eye to see him rest his hands on the railing.

“I’m a complete idiot,” she choked out.

He sighed and gently pulled her into his arms. “You’re not an idiot, baby. I’d say you’re an amazing woman.”

She shook her head in denial. “I’m pathetic. Pathetic!”

She clenched his coat lapels in her hands and buried her face in his chest. Then she laughed. It sounded harsh even to her.

His strong arms wrapped around her and held her tightly against him.

A tear leaked down her cheek, quickly absorbed by Taehyung’s shirt.

“I wanted to belong to someone,” she whispered. “I wanted someone to care about me and not my money or who my parents were. I was so very lonely.”

He rubbed a hand up and down her back. “You do belong to someone, baby. And we don’t give a damn about your money.”

For some reason, his declaration opened the floodgate of tears she’d been holding at bay.

She hadn’t realized how truly lonely she’d been or how desperate she was for someone to love her. Desperate. That about summed her up in a nutshell.

And now she’d latched onto the brothers. Maybe they weren’t the same caliber as kai but she hadn’t given her commitment to them any more thought than she had given her marriage to kai. And that scared the hell out of her.

They wanted forever. She wanted forever. But. There was always a but. If only she hadn’t made so many bad decisions. Then she might be able to trust the decision to stay with Taehyung, Jungkook and Jimin.

Taehyung continued to hold her, stroking her hair. The sound of a ringing cell phone jarred her senses. He cursed softly, and she felt him fumble for his pocket. She drew away to give him easier access, and he pulled his phone out to answer it.

“Taehyung here,” he said shortly.

There was a long pause then he turned away. Jennie stood shivering lightly. She wanted back into the warmth of his arms.

“All right, I’ll be right there,” he said as he turned back around.

He clicked the phone shut and shoved it back into his jacket. “I’ve got to run into town. Soo-young needs my help.”

A sharp pang twisted in Jennie’s chest. She was surprised at its ferocity.

“Come back inside where it’s warm,” he said. He took her arm and led her back in the door.

In the living room, Jimin and Jungkook both looked up.

“I’ve got to run into town. Soo-young’s got a problem, and her deputies are out on calls.”

“Do you need us to go with you?” Jungkook asked.

Jimin snorted in disgust.

“No. At least I don’t think so. Looks to be a runaway. If I need trackers, I’ll call you. I’d rather you stay here and look after Jennie.”

Jennie gritted her teeth. She didn’t need looking after, damn it, and she sure as hell didn’t want Taehyung off with a woman who very clearly wanted him.

Jealous? Oh, hell yeah, she was jealous. And it pissed her off. She hadn’t thought she could feel more miserable than before, but she was wrong.

“There isn’t anyone else she could call?” Jennie asked.