chapter 18// thomas

a/n: i never run out of pics of dylan 😌

word count: 1168

y/n's pov

As me, Thomas, Newt and a few others stayed observing Alby after his sudden breakout from the sting, Chuck suddenly stumbled through the door.

"Uh, y/n can I talk to you?" The urgency in his voice alarmed Thomas.

"What's wrong Chuck?" Thomas asked in a comforting voice as he knelt down to Chucks level, a hand placed supportively on his shoulder.

"I-It's the walls." He said while stumbling on his words.
The mention of those walls made Thomas' ears perk up, he eagerly gestured for Chuck to continue.

"They aren't closing."
I could feel a pit in my stomach rise as i stepped up from my place, raising a gentle hand to Thomas' shoulder making him glance up at me.

I nodded giving him a look, which i naturally assumed he understood as we, in almost perfect sync, exited the medhut and approached the group of gladers standing by the doors.

Their eyes were fixated to the large eerie doors, their torches illuminating the large gap between the doors as they waited impatiently, still expecting the doors to close.

"Guys it's not safe out here." Thomas said while jogging over to the group of boys, however their gaze never left the maze doors.

"Just watch, they'll have to close." Newt said from a distance.

Suddenly without warning, a large rumble escaped the maze. A loud thud boomed through the whole glade as the ground vibrated, it was like every section of the maze had opened at the same time.

Everyones whispers were interrupted by the sound of mechanical whirring, which could only be from one thing, a griever.

Entering through the maze doors was a large mechanical spider - like creature.
It's appearance caused screeches from dozens of boys, all darting across the glade.

Thomas intertwined his hand with mine as he lead me through the glade, practically dragging me to the deadheads as i was completely frozen, my eyes stuck on the griever.

My brain had been processing the whole thing to notice that I was hyperventilating, Thomas noticing this too his hand and gently placed it on my chest, giving me a firm reassuring look that he wouldn't let anything happen to me.

But the destruction was so close.
My panting resumed when Zart was swiped from behind us by a griever that snuck from its hiding place.

Thomas instantly pulled me out of the deadheads and yanked me towards the medhut, his grip never leaving my hand until we entered the doors to see Clint Teresa and Jeff desperately struggling to carry limp Alby over their shoulders.

"Y/n, me and will help them. Go to the homestead with Chuck, be safe." Thomas said while running up to the four of them, helping them carry Alby.

I gave him one last glance before running out of the door, I had to look at him in case anything happened to either of us, it might've been the last time we see eachother. But he didn't return the look, or smile. He was too focused on getting Alby to safety, reasonable.

***

I trembled as our group exited the homestead, destruction surrounding us.
I turned to Newt, our new leader, pulling him in a tight hug out of fear. I could feel a jealous stare from Thomas but ignored it until a sudden thundering approached.

I pulled away from Newt to find Gally storming over, practically steaming with anger as he swung a punch in Thomas' face. Making him stumble back and fall back onto the grass.

"Thomas!" I shrieked while dropping down to my knees next to him.

"Oh get off of him y/n!" Gally scoffed.
"Look around us, look what he did!" Gally said gesturing to the glade.
"How can you care about him when he destroyed our home?!" His voice shook through the whole glade.

"Thomas did nothing! Don't blame this on him." I yelled back firmly, standing up to face Gally leaving Thomas on the ground.

"Maybe he's right." Thomas' trembling voice said from behind me, making me and erbehrone else turn our heads.

"I have to remember." Thomas said while firmly holding the injection that we found in a griever a few days ago, against his upper thigh.

"Thomas no!" I yelled before he passed out, god knows what he was going through now.

____

after being Thomas was practically thrown in the slammer by Gallys orders i eagerly climbed in after him.

Playing with his short hair and admiring his beautifully lit face against the sunlight, his perfectly spread out moles scattered across his perfectly olive tanned skin. Everything about him was so admirable.

I was broken from my thought by a sudden hmph sound coming from him.
His eyelashes fluttered as he suddenly opened his eyes, seeing Newt, Teresa and Chuck outside the slammer.

Feeling his body pressed around mine, he quickly turned around.
A relieved sigh escaping his mouth when he realised it was just me.

He he,d his hand up to my cheek, his thumb lightly rubbing over my smooth skin as he stared into my eyes.
He suddenly pulled me in to kiss me, my hair drooping over his face and covering him from everyone staring at us.

When he pulled away he asked softly, "What happened?" Before Newt replied.
"Gallys turned the whole glade against you, there's a banishment for you at sundown. His orders." Newt said in his thick British accent.

"Wh- and everyone just agreed to that?" Thomas said while adjusting himself, sitting up off of me making me feel a sudden coolness as he wasn't pressed up against me anymore.

"Didn't give em a choice." Newt said while flicking the mail of his thumb.
"Well why y/n?" He asked shocked.

"She didn't want to leave you, volunteered herself." Newt said making Thomas glance back at me, guilt and shock written on his face.

"Y/n..." He trailed off before I cut him off.
"Wherever you go i want to go, no matter what." I said firmly yet lovingly, making him softly smile, still with a large amount of regret.

"We've got a plan." Newt said while interrupting the moment.

_____

The plan went almost perfectly.
Key word, almost.

We had come to the point where we had to persuade everyone else to come with us, including Gally.

It didn't matter what he did, he was still our friend and didn't deserve to stay here any longer than the rest of us.

"Please Gally, aren't you sick of this." I said while gesturing to the glade.

"This is our home." He sighed.
"Good luck against the grievers." He said before turning off.

Thomas pulled my hand, dragging me along with him as we were lead into the maze, he softly placed a kiss on my hand before shooting me a reassuring glance.

"I won't let anything happen to you in here." He whispered in my ear lovingly.