27 | 外に出る

TAEHYUNG SHUFFLED INTO THE living room, looking around for the others. For the first time in longer than he could remember, he’d slept past dawn. He’d joked about wearing Jennie out, but the truth was, she was exhausting him.

He grinned and flexed his tired muscles. A man could only dream of that kind of tiredness.

He continued into the kitchen, expecting to see everyone there. However, Jungkook was the only one there.

“Mornin’,” Jungkook said around his mug of coffee.

“Where’s Jimin and Jennie?”

“In the barn.”

Taehyung slouched down at the bar. “The barn? They going riding? We need to be hitting the road.”

Jungkook’s lips curled into an amused grin. “He’s teaching her self-defense moves.”

“Huh?”

Jungkook shrugged. “They’ve been at it for the last hour.”
Taehyung grunted. “Jimin must be feeling better.”

Jungkook set down his mug. “Jennie got up last night after Jimin went to his room. When I got up this morning, they were wound as tight as two springs around each other. Jimin looked more at peace than I’ve ever seen him.”

Taehyung’s heart lightened at that announcement. Maybe Jennie was chasing the demons from Jimin’s soul. Lord knows he’d lived with them long enough.

He leaned forward on the bar, crossing his arms in front of him. She was nothing short of a miracle. To all of them.

“She’s incredible,” Jungkook said.

Taehyung looked up and knew Jungkook had read his thoughts, knew they were of Jennie. He nodded. “That she is. I can’t believe we’ve found her.”

He couldn’t describe his sense of awe. He knew his brothers had harbored their share of doubts as to whether or not they’d ever find the woman that would complete them, but he’d known they would. Felt it. He just hadn’t known when or how.

“I hope Jin can take care of the divorce as quickly as he thought,” Jungkook spoke up. “We’re going to have to be careful, Tae. I don’t see her husband being willing to walk away so easily if he knows she can destroy him.”

Taehyung nodded, a knot of concern growing in his stomach. “I’ve had the same thought.”

The door to the kitchen burst open and Jennie stumbled in giggling, Jimin right behind her. Taehyung watched the ease on their faces. No torment, no darkness edged their eyes. Jimin looked happy.

Jennie flashed him and Jungkook broad smiles then she threw herself into Taehyung’s arms. He caught her in surprise, and she burrowed into his chest, shivering even as she laughed.

He kissed the top of her hair and wrapped his arms tightly around her. He looked at his brothers over the top of her head and saw in their eyes how affected they were by Jennie’s presence.

“You ready to hit the road?” Taehyung asked as he pulled Jennie away from his chest.

She wrinkled her nose and grinned. “Only if I get to ride up front.”

He laughed and kissed her chin. Then he swatted her on the butt. “Go get your bag and we’ll head out.”

The drive to Seoul went quickly. Jennie enjoyed the scenery, the peace of feeling safe and secure. She hoped getting a divorce was as simple as the brothers made it appear. In the back of her mind, she wondered if kai would really let her go so easily.

As they pulled into a downtown hotel, Jennie gazed around in awe. Then she glanced sideways at Taehyung and quirked her lips into a smile.

He raised an eyebrow.
“I wouldn’t have expected you guys to want to stay here. Downtown.”

He smiled. “We’re not complete backwoods hicks. Don’t get me wrong. We’re a lot more comfortable out of the city, but we thought you’d like this, and plus, Jin’s office isn’t far from here.”

“And we’re near shops,” Jungkook said leaning forward from the backseat. “So you can do whatever shopping you need to do before we go back.”

“How long are we staying?” Jennie asked.

“A few days,” Taehyung said as he opened his door. “Thought we all might enjoy the break.”

Jennie, Jungkook and Jimin waited as Taehyung went to check in. A few minutes later, he returned and pulled the Land Rover forward into the parking lot.

“Let’s go in, get cleaned up then we can go get something to eat,” Taehyung said as he turned the engine off.

“A steak maybe?” Jennie asked hopefully. Her mouth watered at the thought of a nice thick ribeye.

Jimin chuckled. “No worries about her fitting in.”

They climbed out and Jennie shivered at the shot of cold air. Jimin curled an arm around her and pulled her close to his side as they hurried for the entrance.

They all crowded into the elevator and Taehyung pushed the button for the top floor. They got off and walked down the hall to the end. Taehyung opened the door and Jennie eased past him into the room.

She sighed appreciatively at the large suite. To the right, a bathroom complete with Jacuzzi and shower, to the left, doorways to two bedrooms. Ahead was a cozy sitting room with a couch and two chairs, a big screen TV and cocktail bar.

“Want me to draw you a bath?” Jungkook asked her.
She shook her head as she wandered through to one of the bedrooms. “Just a quick shower. I’m starving.”

She hurried into the large bathroom and turned on the shower. Then she dug around in her suitcase and pulled out a pair of jeans and a shirt along with a fresh change of underwear.

Thirty minutes later, she came out of the bathroom to where the guys were watching TV. “Ready?” she asked.