28 | 弁護士

JENNIE WIPED THE PALMS of her hands on her jeans as they stood in the reception area of the lawyer’s office. So much was riding on what the guys’ friend would tell them.

Logically, she knew there was nothing kai could do to prevent the divorce. Make things difficult? Yes. But he could not simply prevent it from happening. She hoped her threat was enough to persuade him not to contest.

Her money was another issue, but her parents had put it in trust, and unless she gave the money to kai, he had no claim on it. But it didn’t mean he wouldn’t try.

She closed her eyes and shuddered. Would she ever be free of her horrible mistakes?

Warm, comforting hands squeezed her shoulders. Jungkook. Already she could recognize his touch. Distinguish it from Taehyung’s or Jimin’s.

“You’re worrying too much, princess. We’ll take care of this. I promise.”

She turned around and smiled weakly. “I want it to be over with.”

“I know. And it will be.”
A tall, well-dressed man appeared in the waiting room. He crossed to where Taehyung stood and extended his hand.

“Taehyung, it’s damn good to see you again.”

“Jin hyung,” he returned.

Jin turned to shake hands with Jungkook and Jimin then settled his gaze on Jennie.

“You must be Jennie Kim.” He smiled warmly at her, and she relaxed some.

She extended her hand and shook jin’s. “Thank you for seeing us.”

“My pleasure.” He turned and extended a hand toward the hallway. “If you’ll all come this way to my office, we can get started.”

Taehyung reached for Jennie, and she went willingly into his embrace. His hand squeezed her waist comfortingly as they followed Jin into a large, expensively furnished office.

Jin gestured for them to sit down then settled behind his mahogany desk. “Taehyung has filled me in on most of the details.” He looked up at Jennie. “May I call you Jennie? Somehow I don’t think you’d like to be called Mrs. Kim.”

“No, please, call me Jennie,” she said huskily.

He smiled. “Okay, Jennie.” He opened a folder and pulled out a sheaf of papers. He slid them along the polished surface of the desk in her direction.

“I’ll have you look over and sign these so I can get the ball rolling. Your case is pretty straightforward. If there aren’t any complications or objections, you’re divorce can be final in as little as ninety days. Obviously if problems arise, it will go longer.”

Jennie stared down at the papers in front of her. It sounded so simple. Ninety days. She could be free in three months.

“What if…what if he doesn’t agree?” she whispered. “I mean what if he won’t sign the papers?”

She looked up at Jin, trying to keep the fear from her expression. She wanted to appear calm and confident, but inside she was a wreck.
“Then we kill him,” Jimin muttered.

Jin chuckled. “As much as I like Jimin’s idea, we’ll leave it in the hands of the legal system. Once your husband is served, he can do one of three things. He can sign the papers, he can ignore them or he can hire a lawyer and show up in court to contest.”

He leaned forward and put a hand over Jennie’s. “No matter what he does, though, he can’t prevent you from divorcing him. All he can do is delay the inevitable. Remember that.”

Jennie blew out her breath. “Thank you.” It was all she could manage without betraying how badly she was shaking. She felt like standing up and yelling. Finally she was taking a proactive stance in deciding the course of her life. And it felt damn good.

She glanced sideways at Taehyung, Jungkook and Jimin, unable to keep the small smile from tugging at her lips. Then she looked back at Jin. “Is that all? I don’t have to do anything else?”

“No,” Jin said.

She paused for a moment and took in several steadying breaths. “Will I…will I have to face him in court?”

“No.”

The answer came from at least three different sources and she turned in all directions.

Jin chuckled. “No. If he opts to go to court that is his prerogative, but you aren’t asking him for anything. There’s nothing to dispute, so I doubt he’ll want to appear, and if so, I will appear on your behalf as your counsel.”

She smiled, felt her entire face relax. The more she tried to contain her joy, the wider she felt her face split. Taehyung slipped a hand up and down her back then rested his palm on her shoulder and squeezed.

Jin looked intently at her. “This will end soon, Jennie. You have my assurances.”

A tear slipped down her cheek. She wiped it away impatiently, not at all sure why she was crying. She was thrilled. She was relieved.

“Thank you,” she said again.
Taehyung stood beside her and reached across the desk to shake Jin’s hand. “We appreciate everything, Hyung.”

Jin also stood. “I’m glad to do whatever I can. You know that. I’ll be in touch.”

Jennie followed the men out of the office. Jimin hung back in the hallway and immediately pulled her into his arms. She hugged him back, feeling just as relieved as he seemed to be.

“Want to find a salon now?” Taehyung asked as they stepped out into the cold air.
She bobbed her head enthusiastically. They walked over to the Land Rover and Jennie slid into the front seat. She let out a long whoosh of air and briefly closed her eyes.

“Feel better?” Jungkook asked from the back.

She opened her eyes and swiveled her head to look at him. “You don’t even know,” she said softly.

“I know I feel better,” Jimin muttered. “The sooner she no longer bears that bastard’s last name, the better.”

Jennie wrinkled her brow. She hadn’t considered the issue of last name. Once she was divorced, it wasn’t exactly legal to marry more than one man. But at the same time, she wanted to belong to them, didn’t want to be viewed as merely a lover or a girlfriend.

“What are you thinking about, baby?” Taehyung murmured as he started the engine.

She paused not wanting to admit exactly what had crossed her mind. It seemed presumptuous at best. She hated the insecurity that crept in despite her best efforts to keep it at bay.

She opened her mouth to respond, but couldn’t make the words come out. “Nothing,” she said with a slight stammer.

Taehyung braked and shoved it into park halfway out of the parking place. “What are you afraid of? What is it you won’t say? You have to know you can tell us anything.”

She swallowed. “It’s ridiculous.”

Taehyung cupped her chin, rubbing his thumb gently over her jaw. “I hate that you worry so much around us. Now tell me.”

“I can’t exactly marry all of you. Legally. That is if you’d even want marriage. Oh hell, I’m making a mess of this,” she muttered, closing her eyes.

“Baby, do you doubt how much we want you?”

She hesitated for the briefest of moments then finally shook her head.

“As soon as possible you will have our name,” Taehyung continued. “Call me old-fashioned, but you belong to us. We want you to be with us.”