Chapter 2

“Y-you?” Max gaped, the shock evident on his face. His eyes jumped to David’s arms, seeing if he had somehow missed it, but there was nothing there. David had hugged the boy, before letting him fall too hard onto the ground.

"Listen, Max I'm sorry I got involved, I know it was stressful for you and-" David began to tear up a bit once more, but then paused and wiped his tears, "But.. I wanted to help you, since no one was exactly there to take that one simple step for me." David looked at Max as an awesome kid, Max was someone he cared for and he wanted to provide the teen with authority that he truly did need. He knew not to be too much on him, but he wanted to guide him in a good direction rather than anything bad.

“I knew no one as happy as you could exist,” Max laughed quietly, wiping his eyes. He let his shoulders rest, he knew he couldn’t escape from this. He looked up at David. David let out a soft chuckle, that one chuckle that let everyone know they were safe when talking with him.

He gave Max some space, sitting down across from him and taking a breath before he spoke again, "Well, I most definitely wasn't always this happy," David admitted "It took alot to get here, and that's why I want to cut that time it took me in half for you. Max.. What's causing you to do this, if you can find the words." David looked at the boy, gentle and understanding waiting for his response.

“I- uh-” Max didn’t know where to start, and he didn’t want to embarrass himself further. He shuffled around through his pockets, looking for the rock. Shit, David took it. David noticed Max shuffling around and immediately knew he was getting nervous, and knew that when he wasn't sure of what to say, or overall felt unhappy with himself, that he would look for something to distract him from it.

David paused and took a deep breath to gather himself, "It's okay, we don't have to get into depth, but Max in no time you will find purpose in yourself because it's always been there. It's just waiting for you.I know you feel unsure, nervous, and surrounded by your thoughts of constant negativity and quite honestly," David chuckled a bit, rubbing the back of his neck when his face dropped to a more serious expression "They never really go away, you need to learn how to ignore them. They're your enemies." David zoned out, getting into deep thought himself as he saw the teen begin to think to himself, still a wreck. Max noticed the counselor spacing out, and he took this as an opportunity to try and getaway. He didn’t want to talk. He didn’t need to be seen as weak. He didn’t want pity. He didn’t want help. Max quickly but carefully removed his hoodie from over his head and ran. David looked up but didn't have the energy to run after the boy. He had to learn, but he couldn't push him. He knew that forcing Max would never help with anything. Instead, David pulled out his guitar and began to play the song he'd learned in high school. His friends at the time had mocked him, told him he'd suck at learning the tune. And David at the time did indeed suck at playing that specific tune. He then saw the teen stop from the corner of his eye and noticed him walk towards the counselor once more. Without a word said, the boy had sat beside the Ginger.  David was always ashamed of the tune but 5 and a half years later, he has learned to perfect that tune. Then, as he'd gotten to the middle of the song, the memories had flooded his head, "Hahah! Are you serious, Davey? You can't play the guitar, what are you, Gay?" The words made him choke, he could hear his best friend, and also the love of his life for 4 years judging him with no second thought. Then it all came back to him, the morning, a month later. David’s arms were completely impaled with blood and broken skin, once the knife had gotten to him he couldn't stop, he dug the knife into his arms like there was no tomorrow. It was an addicting feeling, the knife was there for me. The knife knows my struggle, just let it happen, let me feel something. His eyes were hazy, he soon fell to the floor, bleeding across the bathroom floor with a drunken smile on his face. David was completely lost, he felt like he was outside of his own body. 'Who once was I' David had collected himself, realizing what had happened. His eyes were wide, he had stopped playing without noticing a moment he had done so. He was frozen in place.

Max stared at the ginger, admiring the tune. He had spaced out a bit when he heard David play. He hadn’t noticed the counselor was looking at him until the music stopped. Max met eyes with David, waiting to see a look of pity, but instead, receiving a soft smile. David slightly shuffled, trying to ignore the memories brought up in his mind. Max was listening to his music, and he seemed to be enjoying it. David smiled at this and made it very clear. "Sooo, what do you think Max??" He sighed softly, looking out at the night sky as it began to slightly drizzle with rain.

“Huh?” Max snapped out of a trance. “Your music is okay, I Guess.” Max scoffed, smirking slightly.

David smiled, "Thank you Max, that's very kind of you." If Max was to show anyone the slightest amount of interest in something, that was something to honor. He looked at the teen, silent but considerate. He had noticed Max had seemed comfortable with the music and overall scenario taking place.

“Also. Don’t think too much into this you caring bastard.” Max flipped him the bird with a smirk. He leaned back on the tree he was sitting against and waited for the older’s reaction.

David could plain as day see Max was hiding behind these words, but he knew it was all in denial. He sighed and looked up at the sky once more, "Look how far we both have continued to come," David spoke out without thinking too much of it. He let out a genuine laugh, one of his laughs where you could tell David was genuinely enjoying his time. It was nice to cheer up his fellow camper.

“Alright, anyways, the other campers are gonna get ‘worried’ about us for not showing up at the Mess Hall for breakfast.” Max laughed, standing up. He turned back around to head to the camp. David nodded, shy that he was late on time. The counselor wasn't one for being late, David rushed up and went his separate ways, running to the camp to make sure the other campers were safe and well, and gosh. Let's hope Gwen’s alright, David thought to himself with a sigh.