Chapter 28: Atonement

"What is it you bucketheads say? I want to hear you say it before I dump you in space with the trash."
Jules was standing in front of her. She was aboard the Spitfire. She had her blaster drawn. How did she find her?
"Long live the Empire."
It was Harillo standing behind her in full uniform. Lenore was either dreaming or dead. Jules shot first and everything faded to white.

Lenore awoke with her right elbow throbbing. She had an oxygen mask on. She moaned as she tried to sit up.

"Hey kid, she's awake!" Peli told Wyb. He came running over to her side and hugged her. Lenore winced from the pressure on her arm, although Wyb didn't seem to notice. She could feel him holding back tears and trying to remain calm. She blushed his hair back with her left hand. He looked like he did when she first rescued him. A scared little boy.

"Glad to see you made it," Lenore said softly.

"How do you feel?" Wyb asked. He wasn't embarrassed at showing his true feelings. He was a teenager but not a proud one when it came to Lenore.

"Like my arm's gone." Lenore smiled.

"Well it is." He grinned. "I told Mando if he didn't go help you I'd hold him responsible."

"Well done. Glad someone could talk some sense into that beskar head." As she finished her sentence she saw Mando standing in the doorway. Peli walked over and pulled Wyb up.

"Why don't you go check on that droid of yours honey," she said. As tough talking as she was, she was sweet Wyb. Wyb nodded and as he passed Mando frowned at him. Peli nodded at Mando and turned to leave. "I'll let the two of you talk shop. Sure there are some loose ends you need to tie up." "The kid's mad at me," Mando said and approached slowly.

" 'll get over it." Lenore said tired and in pain.

"He's right," Mando admitted and took a seat in front of her. "I should have come myself."

"Mando, none of that honorable Creed crap ok? This isn't your fault." she said propping herself up,"It could've been worse. I could be dead. But I'm alive thanks to you. So...thanks."

"Is there something I can do?" Mando asked.

"Yeah,"she paused. "Find another ride."

The two of them chuckled and sat in silence for a few moments. Lenore's mind began to race. She was wondering if her time of crazy stunts and heists were coming to an end. Years ago she would have noticed the Sevvets sneaking up on her ship. Maybe she had lost her edge. But she knew one thing, Wyb needed a shot at a better life.

"Who is Cara Dunn?"

"She's the New Republic Marshal of Nevarro. Was a Rebel Shock Trooper during the Civil war. Why?"

"New Republic huh?" Lenore knew what she wanted to ask even if it broke her heart. "Does she know anyone in the New Republic Academy?"

"I think you're a little old to be admitted," Mando joked. But he saw the look on Lenore's face and quickly changed his tune. "Do you think the kid would go?"

"I'm not sure." She saw him a few months before Mando had shown up gazing at the recruitment posters and watching the ships take off in the transportation port on Arkanis. She had a feeling he was dreaming of flight school but didn't dare say anything. "I've taught him everything I know, which isn't much. You've seen him. He's got talent but talent isn't skill. He would never be able to have a legit life with me. He deserves a shot at one at least."

"I agree." Mando stood up. "I'll make the call. You won't be able to take him in your condition. I suggest you tell him now and say your goodbyes here. I'll personally escort him to the Academy if he chooses to go."