Chapter Twenty-Three

Anna had never been so glad to see Kol. She could almost kiss him but she remembered him kissing Andy and her heart ached. No, stop it, she chided. She was done thinking about that. She had more pressing matters at the moment. She was still tied up and on the floor of a boat bound for who knows where. Her aunt had betrayed her and Andy. They were in trouble. She didn't have time to think about that night now.

"Why are you in your pajamas?" she asked as she took in his appearance.

He shrugged. "I didn't have time to change." He knelt beside her and started untying her feet.

"I'm so happy you're here," Andy said and Kol glanced at him. Their eyes met for a second and the prince's cheeks tinted.

"Um, well," he cleared his throat and dropped his gaze, "We couldn't just let you leave without even a goodbye."

"Or let you get kidnapped," Hae added. She'd freed Andy's feet and now turned her focus to the handcuffs. "How are we supposed to get these off without a key?"

"Anyone know how to pick a lock?" Andy asked and they all turned their gazes to Kol.

"Why are you looking at me?"

"Obvious suspect," Andy said.

Kol pouted. "For your information—"

"I might have an idea," Anna suggested cutting him off. "Stand back," she told Kol and Hae. They stepped away. She closed her eyes, immediately like a spark of electricity, magic coursed through her. It was a shock, a familiar one. The rawness of her power made her hands glow and the tattoo on her left hand tingled. Her heart rate picked and she took a deep breath before she whispered the word, "Ligre." The cuffs melted away as if they were made of ice instead of steel and she rose to her feet.

"That's better," she massaged her wrists, where ugly purplish bruised had formed.

"Impressive," Kol commented.

She blushed. "It's a simple spell."

"That you could have done this entire time," Andy said.

"I forgot I could," she said bashfully. She'd been using magic for weeks now but there were moments she forgot she had it. Her mind was not yet used to it. She wondered if it ever would.

She helped Andy out of his cuffs and he got to his feet, using the steel wall to prop himself up. "Thanks," he said. "We have to get off this boat before—"

"Before what?" came a voice, deep and rough. The four of them turned to the door. Standing there, his muscled arms crossed over his broad chest, was the Wythynian soldier. Bedric Menlow, was what Layla had called him. They were silent as his cold menacing eyes swept over them. Kol swallowed audibly, Hae stepped closer to Andy, Andy glared at the man and Anna clenched her fists. He smiled cruelly.

"You weren't thinking of leaving, were you?" he asked and took a step forward. He had heavy steel toe shoes which clunked against the metal floor. How had he approached without making a sound? It seemed impossible. "It would be truly unfortunate if you were. Especially after the trouble I went through to get you here." He took another step and they all flinched.

"I'm not here to hurt you." He raised his hands in surrender. Nothing about this man said, 'I come in peace.' Anna didn't let her guard down. He noticed and smirked. "I'd like to apologize for the way we met."

"For tonight on the beach when you knocked us out or for a month ago when you tried to shoot us with a blaster?" Anna asked.

"I suppose I owe you two apologies then," he made no apologies. "We have stowaways," his gaze turned to Hae and then Kol. "Princess Haelyn and Prince Kolan, I presume."