Part 1

"Is it broken?" Maya hissed as Andy and Vic helped her pull off her turn outs, "I heard something snap."

"We won't know until we get to the hospital," Vic said, cutting off Maya's pants up to her knee, "But that swelling around your knee does not look promising."

"Damn it," Maya groaned.

They had been in a fire, a three alarm. She had gone in with her team because she wasn't the commanding captain at the scene and they were still down a firefighter. They had been working on clearing the second floor, the visibility zero when Maya had suddenly fallen through a hole in the floor that no one knew was there. She had landed on the first floor, crying out in pain. She had tried to get up, managing to drag herself closer to the entrance before Miller and Gibson reached her, picking her up and carrying her out. Andy and Vic were waiting at the aid car for her.

"I'm going to start a line before we go," Vic said, grabbing an IV kit, "And I'll give you something for the pain too."

"Gotta embrace the pain," Maya said, smiling at her friend.

"How about you embrace the pain once we know what's going on," Vic said, placing the line and starting fluids.

"How about just some Toradol?" Maya said, counter, "At least until we know what's going on?"

"That's probably smart," Andy said, "They're going to want to check her for a concussion at the hospital."

"I don't have a concussion," Maya groaned, "My head didn't even hit the ground until way after my leg which softened the blow."

"Let's get going," Andy said, "The sooner we get to Grey Sloan, the faster we can get you feeling better."

"I'm fine," Maya said as they put her up in the aid car, "It just hurts. Carina's been trying to get me to open up more about how I feel so I feel like this hurts."

Andy and Vic both laughed as Andy climbed up to drive while Vic sat in the back with Maya. As Andy started driving, Vic pushed a little Toradol.

"Did that help?" Vic asked after checking her vitals and seeing that Maya's heart rate had gone down a little.

"A little," Maya said, nodding, "I mean, it still hurts a lot, but that took the edge off."

"We will be at Grey Sloan in 2 minutes," Andy called back.

"Herrera, you are in charge for the rest of shift," Maya said.

"Shift ends in twenty minutes," Andy called back, "I think I'll let Gibson take this one because he's still at the scene."

"Sounds good," Maya said back, eyes closing a little, "Shit."

"What?" Vic said, immediately worried she was in pain.

"Carina," Maya said, "I need to call Carina. She's gonna flip if she sees my name on the ER board."

"I'll call her as soon as we get you squared away," Vic promised as Andy pulled into the ambulance bay.

"31-year-old female complaining of knee pain after a single-story fall," Vic said as the ambulance doors were opened, "Patient has been awake and oriented. I gave 5 mg Toradol about three minutes ago. Knee is swollen and tender to the touch."

"Captain Bishop," Meredith Grey said as she came to meet the gurney, lifting up the blanket they had covered her with, seeing the swelling in the knee, "Let's get Dr. Lincoln down here and someone page Carina DeLuca."

"Hey Dr. Grey," Maya said. "Did you mean Andrew Deluca?" one of the interns asked, "Or is she pregnant or something?"

"No," Maya said, "Carina's my girlfriend."