twenty-three

"But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun."- Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare

Two days later and they were driving to Vegas, windows down, music up, snacks in the back. 

Well it wasn't all fun and games because this is what you get for standing out in the rain for two hours.

"Can you hand me a tissue?" Brie said, with a slightly nasally voice. 

"You're using them up too soon Brie," Claire complained.

"It's not my fault, you were the one who dragged me into the rain and now we're sick."

"I didn't think we'd both get sick," she said and sneezed loudly.

"'We can both be sick together', I think were the words you said, if I remember correctly," Brie mocked.

Claire leaned back, closing her eyes again. "Put the windows up for god's sake it's freezing."

"No it gets stuffy if I do," Brie shook her head, letting her hair go wild in the wind.

It was 4 in the morning, and the streets were quiet. There were hardly any other vehicles and the sun hadn't bothered to make an appearance yet. 

After spending hours in the rain, the both of them caught a cold, but Claire was insistent on leaving right after the day they'd bought the car.

They had walked into a showroom, picked a black Ford Mustang convertible, and walked out. 

There's nothing like the feeling of being rich overnight. Nothing can top that ego.

And so, Saturday morning, 4 am, the two were somewhere on the outskirts of New York, driving across the country.

They had a long debate about what to do with the painting, whether it would be wiser to take it with them, or leave it at home. They eventually decided to take it with them, both of them recalling that one night.

Claire was still excited for the most part, although her cold was taking the best of her. But Brie, not so much. She had been driving for 2 hours, while Claire had been drifting in and out of sleep for most of the time. 

"Wake up", Brie groaned and smacked Claire's arm again. "Keep me company."

Claire's eyes shot open, before she let out a long breath and closed her eyes again. "What do you want company for?" she mumbled.

"If I fall asleep and crash we both die," Brie replied curtly.

Apparently that wasn't enough to wake Claire up.

Brie sighed and spoke again. "It's 4:30 and you're about to miss the sunrise."

That woke her right up. "No no wait I don't want to miss the sunrise," she said under her breath, looking out the window.

Soon, the two were parked by the highway, with the occasional whiz of a vehicle passing by. They sat on the back of the car, watching as the sun rose.

It wasn't that much of a view, just bare land, and a few trees. There were some hills in the distance, their silhouettes getting more vague as the sun slowly peeked out. 

It was starting to get a little hotter, slightly humid, and the air was still. The sound of morning birds starting to fill the air, and they started to see more vehicles pass by them.

They still sat there, lazily, as the rays of sunlight fell directly on their face.

Having warm sunlight on your face when you're sick is literally the best feeling ever.