Chapter 32; Life goes on

Sarah sat doing her work when Andrew from across her approached. "Hey.."
He smiled. Sarah smiled back in politeness. She was kind of surprised to see him approach her but didn't show any hostile behaviour. Xavier may have problem with him but she didn't so directly associate him with the incident yet. She still was giving him benefit of the doubt. Simple black eyes and silky brown hair. He was an attractive man still with his prominently sharpened features and a decent height. Andrew spoke "I was actually wondering-"
Unfortunately for him though, before he could tell her his plans, their manager called Sarah to her office so she had to immediately attend to that matter. "Excuse me" She said walking away. Sarah stood patiently as the lady looked up from her computer screen. She smiled pointing at the seat in front of her. "I actually called you here to talk to you about something.." Sarah moved her feet in the said direction.
Sarah nodded answering politely.
"By all means."
"I have an exciting opportunity for you."
The lady began
"Owing to your recent performance and you satisfying one of our major clients. I have decided that you shall represent our department in the annual business conference held at New York City where our company would be playing a major role. You will be briefed tomorrow regarding everything else. "
Sarah's heart leaped inside her chest. This really was a fantastic opportunity for her to show her skills to the world.
She needn't say more. This was a long awaited chance for her to go out and explore the world. She wasn't going to let it slide but she just needed to clarify something first.
"Miss Lauran. I am so honoured that you think me capable of such a duty but can I be forward enough to ask you something?"
The lady didn't let her smile waver and signed her to continue.
"While I also know that you most definitely had made this decision based on credibility. I also know how politics work. So if you really want to show diversity in the team. Why not go for Rana or Farah? They are also Muslim women"
The lady surprised took a moment to reply but didn't take the meaning in any wrong way.
"You are a smart girl Sarah. Yes, it is about giving the world a positive image of our company but don't be fooled. If their Performance was also prominent like yours has been. One of them would be here right now. Not you"
Sarah nodded. Thanking the upper heavens that her superior had not taken her words in the wrong light.
Sarah professionally asked. "If that is all. May I excuse myself out?"
"You may. But before you go. Let me tell you one last thing.."
Sarah waited. The lady looked her in the eye and spoke. "You know what else I like about you. You are a quick and a co operative learner. I have seen you grow and improve. More so the reason why you deserve it"
Sarah's eyes shone in respect for the woman as she stood up to make her way out of the office. "Thank you Miss Lauran."

"For the last time Amelia. No you can not come because this is my work and I don't like interference of any sort when it comes to this"
Xavier was loosing his patience with this woman. He may have tolerated her for the sake that she was his old friend but this was getting on his nerves. He can tolerate all her interference regarding other matters but this was not a joke to him. "But I have to. I'm your fian-"
Xavier threw the document down in anger. The file hitting his table with a loud thud. "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. JUST STOP BEING SO OVERWHELMING. THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS. I KNOW. THERE IS NO NEED FOR YOU TO REPEAT THE SAME THINGS EVERY SECOND. I NEVER WANTED THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE"
Amelia flinched as she stepped back at Xavier's sudden outburst. Never in the span of seven years that they have known each other did he raise his voice at her. Xavier tired and stressed out neither comforted her tears nor did he stop her when she walked out of his office. Slamming the door behind her.
Xavier felt a migrance forming in his head as he thought of their same argument two nights before.

*Flashback starts*
Xavier entered his house exhausted and out of his mind. He had lost the last will he had to smile and his sanity was hanging by a thread. It didn't help that Sarah's thought prevailed his conscious mind all day long. He was trapped and he couldn't escape the constant agony of guilt. He had betrayed her and hurt her in the worst way possible. He felt sick of himself and his lifestyle but he couldn't give up the company just yet. He couldn't let go of Klaus's dream that easily. He moved to the kitchen to drink some water when he stopped. The light coming from his bedroom alarmed him. He still hadn't turn on the lights so that only meant someone was in his house. With quiet footsteps his body moved towards the door and he felt his muscles tense getting ready for either an attack or defence. Depending on the situation ahead. He relaxed as he saw Amelia laying on his bed. He moved towards his walk in closet to take off his coat and grab his comfortable attire. Coming out, he addressed her.
"What are you doing here Amelia" His bored eyes assessed her see through red dress made to turn him on. It had to affect on him. Amelia's smile dropped seeing the manner in which he had addressed her. Nevertheless, she still walked up to him. Put her hand on his chest and leaned in to whisper. "I just thought I would suprise you with a little something "
"Well consider me suprised"
Xavier didn't push her away as her hand travelled even further stopping at the top of his pants. He also couldn't ignore how wrong it felt. Every second of it. But she was his fiance. She had the right to according to his culture. Amelia moved her lips on his neck and jaw. His whole body frozen like a rock. Even though Xavier's mind was telling him to play along it felt as though his mind disagreed. It refused to move or be responsive to the touch it was receiving. Amelia's hand dropped after a minute of trying to make him want it. She stared at his eyes that stared right back at her hollow and devoid of the fire she wanted them to possess. She realised in that moment how there was the total lack of passion and chemistry between them. She picked her stuff and left without a word. Xavier moved back to changing his clothes.
*Flashback ends*

Xavier knew that Amelia wanted the passion in his eyes but he couldn't do that when he felt nothing. His mind, his body and his heart had become such loyal soldiers of Sarah that they just can not seem to accept any other. He sighed as he got back to work. Much was to be done.