Singing A Ghost Song

Holocall Jackie.

Ring….

Ring….

"Choom? That really you?" I lightheartedly chuckled at the broad choom I called my partner. "Heard a lotta gunshots, and well…."

"I'm alive. Barely, but alive." I exhaled as I left Konpeki Plaza empty-handed, covered in the blood of my enemies and my own. "Gig was a bust. The target wasn't here, and now Rogue's gonna chew my ass out." Kicking at stray rocks beneath my boots, I stared unsteadily as a Delamain cab pulled up to the hotel. A gorgeous woman with a model's figure walked out of the cab, wrapped in the finest furs and silks, with a vibrant dark blue colored bob being her main identifier. She took a long drag of the cigarette she held in between her middle and ring fingers before meeting eye contact with me. 

"Valance Marksmyth, I presume." She spoke calmly as she snubbed out the cancer stick, crushing it with the tip of her black heels. I folded my arms over my chest, glaring at the flourished woman. My optics couldn't identify her, must've had an identity blocker. "Rogue sent me. I assume you have the merch?" I shook my head 'no.’ The woman's look was unfaltering, with no signs of disappointment or anger, nor any signs of worrying. An ace’s poker face if I've ever seen one.

"You're the one who ordered the hit?" 

"Doesn't matter who ordered what. You failed, yet again." The blue-haired woman re-entered the cab and sped off into the setting sun without uttering another word.

"Aye, choom-"

"Fuck's sake!" I jumped at the realization I never ended the holocall. "Guess you heard all that."

"Sí, Señora Rogue isn't gonna be too pleased with another failed gig."

"I know, choom. I know." I sighed as I rubbed the bridge of my nose. "Just...tired. Tired of this life. Tired of being a merc, this isn't the life for me. Being a streetkid isn't for me."

"What do you wanna do with your life then, partner? Night City doesn't cater to the average 9 to 5, ya know." 

"I...don't know, Jackster. Just…." I let my sentence fall into the empty space of the world as I had nothing to offer it. "I'll see you at the Afterlife, choom."

"See you there, Valance." The call ended and left tears cascading down my bloodied cheeks. I hated this city, hated the monster I've become to get by. I hated myself. I wanted to scream, wanted to punch the bricked walls of some building until my fists were broken and bloodied. Yet, I couldn't do it, couldn't bring myself to it. At the end of the day, all I knew was being a merc, drinking away the pain, and being a pain in everyone's ass. Nothing else.

                          _________

8:59 p.m. illuminated on my wristwatch as I walked into the Afterlife, looking out of place. My clothes were still torn and bloodied, riddled with bullet holes. Vik was a mere walk away, just talking to Rogue and heading there to get fixed up was the plan. My eyes locked onto Jackie as he sat at the bar. The well-built mercenary waved me over and handed me a beer. 

"Yikes, really taking on the undeadly look, my friend." I shrugged and downed my beer. I had never been able to tan or color in my skin.

"Pale ale for a pale fucker," I lightheartedly joked. "I'll be alright, headin’ to Vik's after Rogue scolds me."

"Need a ride?" I accepted Jack's offer. My ride was perfectly capable of getting me from point A to B, but eddies have been slow. Selling my bike would at least give me a bit of financial stability. 

Singing A Ghost Songजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें