24. Summer Wine

Vienna's absence had been a blessing dressed in artificial heartache. Her departure had left behind a gaping hole in Alex's life that inhaled a weight resting on his shoulders. He'd been given the luxury to focus on himself that he'd indulged upon so completely that when she called to tell him she was extending her stay, not an ounce of disappointment hit him like he expected it to. Like a parent with a child at playgroup, his love never lessened but he couldn't deny that the freedom of his independence wasn't welcomed with open arms.

It hadn't gone unnoticed by him that Maeve had still been wary around him whenever he saw her. She would smile and joke around, embracing him and giving into his kisses and initiating them on the occasion but it was clear to Alex that she was still being protective over herself even if she didn't realise it. The contortions of her face illustrated a narrative that read to him her uncertainties and unshakable, understandable distrust toward him, she was quizzing herself during every spare moment. It was as though her guardian angel had long fallen and left it's responsibilities in Maeve's own hands, hot as iron and sticky as far.

  He waited by the settees, thigh pressed into the back rest and hands holding a square shaped object against his abdomen. Accompanying him was Chuck, standing in the kitchen with a bowl of Special K drenched in chocolate milk that he inhaled by the spoonful in a sort of elegance Alex hadn't seen in a man before. Chaotic and collected all at once as he spoke through small mouthfuls in a smooth voice that made every sentence sound near rehearsed.

  "So are you two together now? She keeps telling me yer not which sounds like a load of bollocks," Chuck said to Alex as they waited for Maeve who was yet to reveal herself from down the hall.

  "No, we're not," Alex said and shook his head.

Chuck groaned internally. Always one to express his love and emotions as they came, he couldn't understand what the hold up between the two were. However, Maeve had expressed her concerns to him and without much questioning, Chuck took her side and made a point of sussing our Alex's character when he had the chance just to ensure his best friend was in the right hands.

"And yet she's invited you along today?" Chuck pointed out.

  "She also made it clear that she only invited me because you refused to come," Alex countered.

  Chuck laughed, "that's true. I did." He placed the cereal bowl down and folded his arms. "But knowing Maeve she only said that to you so that she wouldn't seem eager. She knows I can't stand that country house shite anyway. I'll warn you, the place'll make you feel like the scum of the earth for being working class and the wine is offensively good."

  "Been before?" Alex asked.

  "Twice. Bec does it every summer," Chuck nodded, "she's alright. They all are. Not snobby or nowt. Maeve just hates going alone...she also probably wants to introduce you to everyone and show you off," he smiled and raised his dark eyebrows up at Alex.

  They both turned to look down the hall when they heard a door finally open. "Didn't realise you were here yet," Maeve said upon spotting Alex and quickly made her way over to him. "Sorry for making you wait."

  Alex smiled and shook his head, he quickly eyed her up and down, hoping not to make it too obvious, but when he said nothing of the way she looked, both Maeve and Chuck looked at him expectantly. She'd clearly done herself up, her hair was clipped back and off her shoulders with only wisps of hair left out to frame her face that she had rejuvenated with makeup to hide last nights three hours of sleep. Hanging delicately around her body was a slip dress that reached her knees, the colour of the pale ocean under overcast skies, blue suited her more than red — or perhaps it was just the dress and his heart that did the trick.