Happy Birthday - Chapter 2

Jungkook sat comfortably on the couch, surrounded by his dear friends and bandmates. Namjoon had just opened his birthday gift from Jimin, a Gucci bucket hat. Namjoon placed it on his head with a nod of thanks as he reached for the next wrapped gift.

Jungkook took a sharp breath in. He wasn't nervous about the book. He was nervous about the note inside the book. He couldn't explain his feelings. For some reason, he had wanted to keep that note in his pocket and never let it be seen, as if he was giving away something precious to him, even though he knew it wasn't his to keep.

Namjoon gently slid the paper off the book. His eyes brightened as he took in the image on the cover. "I've heard of him!" He exclaimed.

He opened the book and began flipping through the pages. About midway through the book, the slip of paper fell out and into his lap.

Namjoon reached for, looking up at Jungkook, "Aw, did you right me a love note?"

Jungkook gave a playful grimace, "No man, it's from a girl."

That was met with the sudden interest of the rest of the group, who now hovered closer as Namjoon unfolded the paper and silently read. When he had finished he looked up at Jungkook, "Who is this girl?"

Jungkook's heart sank. He knew that look. It was Namjoon's ready to get lost in a deep mystery of the world look. Why did he suddenly want to rip that paper from his hands and lie and say he didn't know, that is was nothing, no one. Why did he want to keep her all for himself? A strange girl with delicate hands and a fierce credit machine swipe. A girl with only a first name and a tragic story. He knew once he answered Namjoon's question, she would no longer be his. She would belong to Namjoon. And rightfully so. The hero of her story. Her life saver.

"The girl at the bookstore. I wanted to handpick the book for you. So I drove 2 1/2 hours to a shop in a small town. She told me she immediately thought of you when she saw this book." As much as he wanted to lie, he couldn't, not to Namjoon.

The boys looked at him with startled expressions.

Jin spoke first, "You went into a bookstore? By yourself?"

"It was fine. I was the only one there." He looked down, wanting to avoid being scolded.

"But she knew it was for Joon. You told her who you were?" It was Tae. Jungkook knew he wasn't being scolded by his words. Taehyung was always trying to protect him.

"I didn't! She just knew. I had a hat on. I was wearing a mask. All my tattoos were covered. I didn't even say a word before she knew it was me. She was like a magician! When I said I was looking for a birthday present, she automatically knew it was for RM!"

The boys nodded, clearly impressed with the girl.

Yoongi turned his attention back to Namjoon, "What does the note say?"

RM read it to them.

A gentle silence fell across the room. Even their managers and staff had fallen quiet. On the surface, they looked like a bunch of boys advertising brands and selling albums, but they all knew what the numbers didn't know. They knew the stories and the hearts of their fans and the impact and influence they had on them. Each story was a person. And each person was important. 

And then the words that Jungkook was dreading the most came out of Namjoon's lips.

"I want to meet her."