Adonis (Part 2)

The next day was long. We rose at dawn to catch our food. Breakfast was a quick affair. The hut was abandoned for the day once things were set in order.

As we passed various plants, Percy would point out their uses. The pretty water hemlock could kill you, the leafy dandelion weed was nutritious, the greens of asparagus were fine to consume while their berries were not, and elderberries should always be cooked first to remove toxins.

Similarly, he pointed out how to most effectively sneak around. Soft grass or needles were best for hunting, stay on the balls of your feet to always be at the ready, find older groves for fallen dry wood protected from rain by heavy canopy, stay clear of the deep marsh and the unknown below, seek the high ground if lost.

It was useful for the time being, but I would not need this information when I returned to the mortal world.

Regardless, I listened and learned. I would not give up the opportunity to receive instruction from the legendary Perseus Jackson.

Maybe it was because I did not complain or I seemed interested or he was testing me, but Percy only talked of the nature around us. It lasted until dusk when we returned to the hut for dinner. Much like breakfast, we did not dawdle. He sent me off to bed with the same instructions as before.

It was then that I contemplated what I had learned. And I found it was rather a lot.

The pretty water hemlock could kill you: Looks could be deceiving. Not everyone has your best interest at heart. Do not underestimate the small, seemingly non-threatening things. First impressions are not everything—they are usually utter lies. And importantly, do not eat hemlock.

The leafy dandelion weed was nutritious:
You can gain much from those who appear lesser. No one is worthless. There is more beneath the surface value. Do not overlook the common things. You can eat dandelions.

The greens of asparagus were fine to consume while their berries were not:
There are two sides to every story, every person. The bad comes with the good. You must dig deep and work for what you want. You may choose which aspect(s) to focus on, yet you cannot ignore other factors. Few know asparagus produce berries.

Elderberries should always be cooked first to remove toxins:
There is seldom a dichotomy, you can find a middle ground, a grey area. You can make good outcomes out of bad situations. Life can always get better. You can control how toxic you are or if you remain with toxic people. Sometimes things must get heated to change for the better. Elderberry pies are not usually poisonous.

Soft grass or needles were best for hunting:
Be gentle with novel things. The innocent are easily startled, easy to taint. Sometimes a sly approach is how you will get what you want or need. Brute force is not always the best strategy. Autumn is an annoying season to hunt in.

Stay on the balls of your feet to always be at the ready:
Do not be ill-prepared. Opportunities are unpredictable, it is best to take them when they come. Be proactive—being reactive can get you killed. Wear shoes with good support.

Find older groves for fallen dry wood protected from rain by heavy canopy:
Take comfort in what has been established, use them to your benefit. History is there to be built upon, a tool to protect you from known mistakes. Look for heavy canopy to keep dry.

Stay clear of the deep marsh and the unknown below:
You never know what lies beneath the surface. Avoid (metaphorical) murky waters by increasing knowledge. Avoid (literal) murky waters to stay dry and alive.

Seek the high ground if lost:
Focus on the big picture if you get lost in the smaller details. High grounds, in the moral sense, will keep you from going astray; helping others helps oneself. A different perspective is often what you need to find your way in life. The view is often clearer from up top than down below. You are not taller than trees.