Black Arrival

"Regulus."

Snow fell outside of Gray House, covering the ground in white as Cassie looked out the kitchen window. She wiped her delicate hands on the towel while the smell of coffee and muffins filled the room. From behind her, Cassie sensed her stepson approaching at the same time she got that nagging feeling that something wasn't right.

"I'm Brandon," the twenty-five-year-old said right before she turned to look at him, attempting to put on a brave face. His mouth twisted across his face. "Is something wrong? I thought we discussed this? That I would be joining Middleton's police force."

The sound of heavy footsteps and giggles filled the room, making Cassie and Brandon look up, both knowing that the youngest Russell was now headed downstairs, but her steps were quickly accompanied by her older half-sister yelling at her to slow down lest she gets hurt.

Brandon's eyebrows shot up. "Some things never change."

"Some things do," Cassie spoke softly, having learned a long time ago that sometimes fate wasn't kind.

"You had that same look on your face the day dad died. Who is Regulus?"

Cassie leaned up against the counter, letting her knuckles turn white as she used it to hold herself up. "He's family. A cousin to be exact."

"A Merriwick?"

"A Black," Cassie smiled. "He was a very adorable baby, Regulus was." Her hand went up to her heart, trying to push back the feeling something wrong was going on. "It was a Black who pointed me in the direction of Gray House which allowed me to meet your dad and you kids."

That Black, of course, was her mysterious benefactor, always looking out for her and things that happened in Middleton, yet she had a feeling Arcturus had some kind of hand in regarding why Middleton was different when it came to magic, or at least some influence with the ministry to prevent them from interfering, almost as if Middleton were some kind of experiment Arcturus was always watching.

"Your mysterious benefactor?"

"Uncle Arcturus." Cassie put her lips together. "Simply someone who saw it as his duty to see I was cared for after my parents passed, albeit from a distance most of the time." Which was the best way to explain the situation to anyone not more familiar with the Black family's eccentricities, let alone how she never felt welcome with the Blacks. "He never really cared that my father was a squib, but then he wasn't actually my uncle though."

"Who isn't your uncle?"

"Good morning George." Cassie smiled at him. "I'm talking about my father's first cousin."

"So, Regulus?" Brandon asked.

"Regulus would be Uncle Arcturus grandson, the son of my second cousin Orion and my first cousin Walburga."

"Wait. I don't follow," George reached for a scone. "And who is this Regulus and why is he suddenly coming up?"

"It's not uncommon for cousins to marry in the Black family," Cassie smiled.

The smile fell from her face when a loud crashing sound was heard from the foyer followed by screams from Lori and Grace. Cassie's eyes widened while Brandon turned so he might hurry into the room. Her breath sucked in, that bad feeling growing. "Regulus."

George's eyes widened. "Do we have an unexpected guest?"

"Something like..."

"Cassie! I need your help! There's a young man here who's injured badly!" Brandon called out from the foyer.