Broken and Crashing

Draco?" Harry's voice was soft, worried as he pushed open the wooden door. Letting it swing behind him, he softly closed it shut. He'd spotted his name flickering over the Marauder's Map here, in the Gryffindor common room for too long. And decided to check it out. The pale, blond boy looked up to him from where he sat, in a puddle of what looked like marbled blood and water on moist, dirty tiles. Tears streaked past Draco's cheeks, which were drained of colour, eyes puffy and hollow. He was curled up into a ball, and he looked smaller than ever to Harry. In those moments, he wanted nothing more than to run up to him. To embrace him. But wisps unknown swept past him, holding him in place. And his feet stood rooted to the ground. "Go away, Potter."

"No." Draco avoided his gaze, sweeping his attention anywhere else but Harry, waiting. One minute passed. Then two. Three. Four. Five.

He turned away, his grey eyes ringed by the dim shafts of moonlight that shifted through the ancient glass window panes. Harry looked at him warily, almost like a dog begging for a bone. His eyes seeked the dragon's desperately, wanting something- anything to explain the mess they were in. As if sensing Harry's avid gaze, Draco relented slightly. "Here's the thing, Harry. I'd fight for others, but no one will fight for me, " he paused, looking up at Harry. The other's eyes were rimmed with red, stunning emerald mingled with something of grief and agony,but as he opened his mouth to speak nothing seemed to come out. Don't say that, he wanted to say, you still have me. But could he say that, truly? It was safe to say that now, in the middle of a bathroom a rare few would stumble upon. But in the middle of the Great Hall, in front of Ron and Mione, would he be able to say those words? Yes, his heart answered..but his head- his head didn't quite know what to say.

Instead, Harry clenched his fists, and blood gushed further out of his open wounds. "Don't try telling me otherwise, Potter. I can see it in your eyes."
Painstakingly slowly, the blond turned around. In the light of the moon that shifted through, his pale blond hair seemed to grow, like a halo. Ironic, Harry supposed. But perhaps he was. Really, Harry? Even after all he'd done? The voice, unbidden, came back to taunt Harry. It'd been there for ages, trying to reason against it, this feeling he had, this warmth and hope he got whenever he stepped too close to Malfoy. Too late, he supposed, a hopeless smile making its way to his face as he grasped the blade in his fingers tighter. Blood dribbled further down his slender, scarred fingers, dripping to the ground. Both of them watched, as crimson mingled with clear water drip by drip, turning murky. Slowly, Harry gathered his courage, his voice trembling. Please, don't fail me this time. " I will. "

Malfoy laughed bitterly, running his fingers through his hair. The blood that adorned his hands, too, stained his blond hair. Really, the moonlight didn't suit him, Harry thought. It accentuated his unnaturally pallid skin, the heavy bags beneath his eyes. Still, something about him took Harry's breath away. He'd always been beautiful, after all. Just not the way most thought. His eyes laced with bitterness, and agony twisted his lips into an ugly frown. He was a mess, Harry thought, and so was he.

Finally, he raised his head to meet with Harry's eyes. "Really, Potter? I suggest you do away with your fantasies now, Potter. It's impossible for you to fight for me. After all..." Draco's voice trailed off, unable to continue as he gestured hopelessly around the bathroom they were in, drafty and dark. After all I did to you, was what he meant, but again, nothing came out.
There were too many things, too many words between them left unsaid, after all. The things they'd done, to hurt and to protect one another. The things Draco had done, to protect himself, letting Death Eaters come in and hurt Harry. The things he'd done to Harry, hexing him, cursing him, while dreaming of him near him, kissing him. " I don't deserve it, Potter. And I don't want your pity. Use it on someone else, someone better than me. " Letting his eyes linger on Harry's one more time, he let his gaze fall before turning around and leaving. He'd let this carry on for too long, after all. Trodding through the murky puddle of blood, of their blood, Draco twisted the doorknob, pushing open the door. His left foot one step out of the door, until-