Chapter 9: Surprise!

Bucky was walking alongside Bruce. He was snacking on one of the many biscuits they'd brought.
     "It looks like there's a road up ahead." Bruce said. He was looking at the only map that was in the entire cabin. He had folded it several times to get the general location they were in.
     Bucky looked at the map for a moment before realizing they were going in the wrong direction. "Actually," He said. "it's that way." He pointed to the side.
     "Oh... Maybe you should take the map from here." He handed Bucky the map. "I'm not very good with navigation."
     "That much was obvious. If we kept going that way..." He looked at the map again. "we'd have been going for another twenty miles before reaching a road."
     "Well then," He bowed, gesturing in the direction Bucky had pointed to. "lead on, Mr. Barnes."

     The Avengers were back at the mansion. Rick was showing Cap around.
     "So," Said the Captain. "how long have you been with the Avengers?"
     "Not long. I'm actually part of the reason they started. I needed a way to keep the government from fighting the Hulk. And so they formed the Avengers. Although, they worked well together already. And that's the main reason they formed. By the way," he added. "how long did you and Bucky work together?"
     The Captain thought about this for a moment. "I'd say for about a year and a half. We started when he was fifteen. It ended in '43 with the rocket."
     "Rocket?"
     "Yes. Our last mission. We were to take down a Hydra science base. The Skull was getting away. I got on his rocket he was using for escape." He sighed. "I told Bucky not to follow me. But he did. The Skull got away, and we were still on it. Bucky was stuck. He kicked me off just before it went off. He was caught in the explosion, and...I survived."
     "He survived too." Rick reassured him.
     "Yes... But I still blame myself. One arm and scars. What did I get away with? A ruined suit."
     Rick laid a hand on Cap's shoulder. "He doesn't blame you. I could tell that much just by talking to him and seeing him. He didn't mention you, though, which is actually kinda suspicious." He chuckled nervously.
     The Captain smiled ruefully. "Yes, I guess it is. So," He added. "is your life exciting?"
     "Oh yeah. But the Jones boys all have exciting lives. My cousin Fred has a mystery solving group."
     "Well...that's interesting."

     Bucky and Bruce followed the road southward. Canada may not have been far from New York, but that was in comparison to the rest of the world. Walking there was no small trek. They'd be going for quite some time.
     They didn't stop for meals or anything. They didn't want to lose any amount of daylight they had. Or, at least Bucky didn't. Bruce was tired as heck. He thought of begging for them to stop for the night, but Bucky seemed to have his mind set on getting to their destination as soon as possible. Bruce would stop when Bucky stopped. But Bucky was used to marching. The scientist, however, had rarely ever walked very far.
     Bucky finally stopped so that they could sleep. Bruce, who was carrying the blankets in his bag, dug them out to set them on the ground. They had settled a little ways from the road, so as to not call any attention to themselves.
     Bruce laid out the blankets, while Bucky got out a couple of water bottles. He was still intrigued by the containers. They were definitely strange. He handed one to Bruce, and they sat and ate, while chatting for a little while. They soon went to bed. They both needed rest.

     Bucky awoke with a start. Something jostled with into wakefulness. His eyes shot open to see what looked like soldiers of some kind surrounding them. He looked over to Bruce to find him being held down on the ground. One look at the situation, and Bucky instantly knew what he had to do.
     Getting up quickly, he assumed a fighting stance, ready to spring into action immediately. But a large machine that was dangerously pointed at him, along with several guns told him not to. He'd have to wait for a different opportunity.
     A man walked out of the middle of the formation of soldiers. He had grey hair, and a very imposing presence. His scowling yet satisfied face alighted on Bruce, then his eyes trained on Bucky's still battle ready figure. A look of interest lit up his eyes.
     "Ross!" Shouted Bruce. "Leave him alone! He hasn't done anything!" He struggled under the soldier's booted foot. Bucky wondered why he wasn't turning into the monster he said he could. Had they done something to him?
     "So," Said the older man, Ross. "you've found yourself a new sidekick, eh?" He chuckled.
     Bucky was insulted at this. He growled. "I am no one's sidekick!"
     "A bit of a feisty on, too. Wait a moment..." He studied Bucky closer. "Is that Rick? Your little friend?"
     "No. In fact I'm not."
     "You, umph, wouldn't believe me if I told you." Said the struggling scientist.
     "The ugly twin?" Said Ross.
     Bucky was even more insulted by this. He was ready to jump on this man. The only thing holding him back was the fact that they might do something to Bruce. That, and the many guns pointed at him.
     The soldier holding down Bruce picked him up and marched him into the large machine. Obviously, it was something like a tank. The soldier directly behind Bucky nudged him with the barrel of his gun. Instinctively, Bucky turned on him, incapacitating him with a quick few strikes. But he felt a searing pain, as another gun shot him in the back. He fell to the ground, unconscious.