Chapter 2: The New Kid

Three months into the year and it was nearing Thanksgiving. I was doing well in school, and hadn't gotten into much trouble. My friends were not at school that day, and I was sitting at my usual desk in Mr. Fitz's room. He seemed extra wackier than usual.

"Settle down class because I have some exciting news!"

As a result, my classmates didn't calm, they only up roared.

"I would like to introduce a new student to our school. Please welcome Drake Wallace!"

Mr. Fitz broke out into applause, while the class stayed silent.

A boy walked in holding nothing, but a black folder in his hands. There wasn't a smile across his face; it was a nonchalant expressionless face. He was dressed in a black tight fitted suit, with a matching bow tie. His hair was short and groomed with many gels and other hair care products.

The new kid gazed around the room as if looking for something. His eyes darted across the room staring at each and every student, and then he stopped at me. He looked at me longingly. Then, Mr. Fitz cleared his throat.

"If you would please take your seat Mr. Wallace."

...

Oddly, the rest of the week the new kid, Drake, had all the same classes as me. All through the week he kept staring at me. I had returned home to the apartment on Friday after book club. My dad was home cooking up one of his famous concoctions.

"How was school, Violet?" he asked me.

"It was good. We got a new guy in school."

"Did you talk to him?"

I sat down at the kitchen table trying to concentrate on my English essay. Dad was all I had left after mom died. I miss her so much.

"I didn't talk to him yet." I explained, "He just gives me the creeps sometimes."

"Violet, can you please set the table for dinner?" he asked ignoring my answer.

I quickly got out the plates and silverware. My essay would have to wait. I set everything up on the table and now had to clear out my progress. I put my work aside and set the table.

Dad had made nice three-cheese lasagna and a fantastic Greek salad. He always was a great cook.

"So this new boy, what's his name?" he asked sitting down.

"His name is Drake and he always wears a suit and tie. He's just so weird, dad."

I left out the part about him watching me, because I wouldn't want to make him worried.

"Well Violet, you shouldn't judge someone by their cover. What if he's the nicest boy, but you'd never know because of your judgments?" dad explained.

I thought about what he said, and decided to talk to John and Tracy about it.

...

"I think he likes you." Tracy reasoned, "Any guy that stares at a girl for that long has to like you."

"Maybe he's just a stalker." John joked, "That could happen!"

We were walking once again to school, and it was a very long stroll.

"I'll talk to him. He's got to be human." I said.

"I don't know maybe you should flirt with him." Tracy giggled, "He could be a keeper."

I slugged her in the arm, because that was the only way to shut her up.

"Just try being friendly." John advised.

John always had decent advice when he was in a good mood. I decided to take his advice and talk to the new guy. I mean it couldn't hurt to try. We were nearing the school, and sure enough there was Drake standing by the flagpole watching us slow to a stop. He was waiting for me. I just couldn't though. I couldn't muster up the courage to talk to him. So, I walked right past him as I went inside the building. I could have sworn he stroked my hair as I went in.

...

"Alright, today we are having a lab. Please stay in your seats." Mr. Fitz requested.

I sat in the front, waiting patiently, while Drake continued staring at me. The other students roared with excitement.

"Your partners will be the person next to you. Now, let's split up to the lab tables and..."

Suddenly, Mr. Fitz stopped talking and looked off into the distance. What was going on? I gazed around the room and it seemed like everyone was in a daze. I stood up slowly from my seat and walked over to Mr. Fitz. Everything was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

"Mr. Fitz? Mr. Fitz are you okay?" I asked.

Then, Mr. Fitz shook his head and stared into my eyes.

"Yes, I'm fine. I just made a slight change to your instructions. Please sit down, Violet." he replied non-emotionally.

I quickly sat back down at my desk. The students were so quiet and not the crazy animals I knew them to be.

"Class, you will be able to choose your own partners. Please keep the silence as you do so."

Mr. Fitz was just... boring. It was like all his qualities and fun ways really disappeared into thin air. And to make matters even weirder the class was, for once, listening to him.

"I will assign you a lab table as the groups are assembled."

I walked around the room trying to find a partner for the assignment. Everyone seemed to be paired up already. Except for one guy that was in the back. He seemed to be waiting for something, or someone. I just stood still, but quickly got interrupted by Mr. Fitz.

"Who does not have a partner?" he asked.

I raised my hand and so did Drake. I looked over at him, but his focus was on Mr. Fitz.

"Then you two shall be partners. Go to table five." he ordered.

I brought my stuff to table five and sat down. Drake came over and sat beside me and for the first time, smiled.