03, charms partners

"So, now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention while I give out a few notices

"So, now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention while I give out a few notices." Maeve listened quietly as Dumbledore spoke. She wasn't able to sit with her friends at the start of term feast, but just being back at Hogwarts was enough to put a smile on her face.

"Mr Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming yo-yo's, Fanged Frisbees and Ever Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises of some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it." Maeve's mind involuntarily wandered to George, "As ever, I would like to remind you all that the Forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all those below the third year. It is also my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

An uproar of protests rose from the students, and Mae chuckled at Cedric's being one of the loudest. Dumbledore held up a hand, waiting for the room to settle once more.

"This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy - but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts-"

A loud boom of thunder rang out, and Maeve flinched. The enchanted sky above them began to mimic the storm raging outside, and the doors to The Great Hall flew open. A rather frightening man with a wooden leg and a prosthetic eye hobbled in, walking up to exchange hushed words with the headmaster before sending what looked like a bolt of lightning at the ceiling, restoring the calm sky.

"May I introduce our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Moody. As I was saying, we are to have the honour of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event which has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the TriWizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year." an excited hush of whispers grew, and Maeve saw even Draco Malfoy looked relatively eager, "The TriWizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago, as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry - Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, and three champions competed in three magical tasks. The schools took it in turns to host the Tournament once every five years, and it was generally agreed to be a most excellent way of establishing ties between young witches and wizards of different nationalities - until, that is, the death toll mounted so high that the Tournament was discontinued."

Maeve rolled her eyes. Of course.

"There have been several attempts over the centuries to re-instate the Tournament, none of which have been very successful. However, our own Departments of International Magical Cooperation and Magical Games and Sports have decided the time is ripe for another attempt. We have worked hard over the summer to ensure that, this time, no champion will find themselves in mortal danger." That's likely, Mae thought. "The Heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their short-listed contenders in October, and the selection of the three champions will take place at Hallowe'en. An impartial judge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the TriWizard Cup, the glory of their school and a thousand Galleons personal prize money. Eager though I know you all will be to bring the TriWizard Cup to Hogwarts, the Heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry of Magic, have agreed to impose an age restriction on contenders this year. Only students who are of age - that is to say, seventeen years or older - will be allowed to put their names forward for consideration. This-"