Chapter 23 Ready

"I'm not ready!" I said, trying to convey how annoyed I am with the idea.
"You're not signing a life long contract of commitment Jesse," Erin said with a grin.
"It's still a big one though. Becoming not only a counselor for the Aphrodite Cabin but also the 1rst officially designated camp healer. Lotta pressure."
"You already do the second part and you're qualified to do the first. It'll come to you naturally with time. By large the other demigods are fine with it. Jesse can you at least think on it?"
"Okay yes fine. I'll think on it."
"Thank you."
"Yeah yeah." I took a breath as I sat down. "How're the Minotaur and the other kids?"
Erin's face darkened at my question.
"The Minotaur has been fine. Lotta the campers are scared of him but he's been fine. As for the traitors, they've been a lot less cooperative. Knowing you're here is keeping them mostly in line though."
"I see," I said frowning.
"Can you emo..."
"No. I won't do that and please don't ask me to. My little brother hasn't tainted them, their actions were and are their own."
"Okay. I'm sorry," she said and I sighed.
"I know you're trying you're best to do what you feel is right by you and the other campers, and I think that's admirable. But unless they are having their emotions influenced by an external force, or they give me expressed permission I won't mess with them like that."
Erin blinked but then she smiled at me followed by a light hug.
"It's nice to have someone so kind and considerate here. Thank you Jesse." She said after pulling away.
"Yeah uh you..you're welcome," I stuttered.
"Here comes your fan club," Erin said we heard a bunch of footsteps and mumbling. When I looked over to see, a group of like 5 campers was rapidly approaching. "Good luck Jesse," Erin said and I shifted.
"Wait wait Erin!" I called but she didn't listen as she walked away. "Shit."
"We overheard. Is it true? You gonna be the camp healer?"
"I don't know yet. I'm still thinking it over."
"What about being a cabin counselor for Aphrodite's kids?"
"Again still thinking on it."
"Oh. Well you'd be good at it. And your immortal so you could take care of demigods like Chiron does too if you stay."
"Yeah. That's true. You're super strong too right? So you could defend too." A boy said, his tone more giddy than the others. He's gotta be like well...I guess 13. That's the youngest you can be and get claimed according to Andrew. "You're perfect for here. Maybe you could run the camp one day too!"
"I don't know about any of that," I said trying to be nice but also honest. "I don't know if the gods would be okay with that."
"Well someone needs to when Mr. D is gone."
"I think it'd be best if we crossed that bridge when we get there. I'm a guest here, not a usurper."
"What's that mean?" The boy asked.
"A usurper is someone who takes over something from someone against their will. It's a bad thing."
"Oh."
"Yeah. So like I said it'd be best to wait."
"Look, I'm not planning on leaving you all anytime soon though ok? I'll be around."
"Okay," the kid said with a nod.
"What's your name?" I asked him kneeling down.
"Henry. Demeter is my mom."
"Well Henry, son of Demeter, it's nice to meet you," I said and he grinned and nodded.
"You too Jesse."
"Can I get the rest of your names?" I asked as I looked up at the other 4.
"Jasmin."
"Gregory."
"Lyla."
"Oscar."
"Jasmine, Gregory, Lyla, Oscar, and Henry it's nice to meet you all as well. You guys wanna hang out with me for the rest of today? I'd like to get to know you. If that's ok?"
They nodded feeling happy, some bordering on eagerness and excitement.
It'll be nice to get to know the other campers, especially since I'm actually considering Erin's offer.