Chapter One

From the moment we met, we had been the best of friends. The possibility, let alone the mere thought of becoming something more was completely out of the question. And yet, I found myself unable to hold back my nagging feelings any longer. I was both hopelessly and helplessly in love with Brea, youngest daughter of the All-Maudra.

Just being friends with a Gelfling angered the other Skeksis, especially enraging my father Skekso, who already seemed to be in a bad mood most of the time. Sorry, allow me to introduce myself: I am SkekWhim, Imperial and Warrior-In-Training. As all the creatures of Thra know, when the Crystal of Truth cracked, a single shard was lost, and what once was one became two. In layman's terms, the UrSkeks split into two new races...one being the gentle Mystics, the other the cruel Skeksis.

Cruel seems a bit much, at least in my case. I just so happen to be the oddball of the bunch, which argumentably might contribute to the hatred I am dealt with. When the Crystal cracked, I didn't have a Mystic counterpart, like the others. Instead, I fell through the floor of the castle and lost consciousness. Many creatures died that day in the pit below the Crystal; not to mention there was no fire below it back then either. Their DNA spliced in mine, as I was injured during my fall. When I came to, I felt scared, weird, and unwanted all at once.

Then Aughra and Raunip found me. They were looking for the missing shard, but unfortunately there were many shards that looked alike in the pit. I suppose Aughra took pity on the runty, sick-looking baby Skeksis she found, and decided to look after me...up to a certain point anyways. By the time I was about 6 trine old, Emperor Skekso reluctantly adopted me, though it wasn't for parental reasons. I was just another thing for him to brag about.

We never saw Raunip again. He just wandered off one day and that was the end of it. I only hope that he's okay, wherever he may be now. Raunip didn't despise me like he despised the other Skeksis. He treated me well, and I appreciate him for that.

While my father and his subjects became obsessed with controlling the Gelfling race and obtaining immortality, I became interested in other things. I would often leave the confines of the castle to explore Thra, or just to simply stay away from the noise and quarrels that comes with the Skeksis. I met Brea when I was quite young, and she was a young one herself. The princess didn't seem frightened of me, which was intriguing.

That two-way curiosity led to our friendship. Brea sometimes would lead me to flowering fields of wildlife, and we'd sit there in the open plains. We'd talk about childish things, or watch the animals go about their daily lives, or I'd watch Brea draw some pictures. She always was a very good artist. Back in those days, whenever Skekso held a feast at the castle, he'd invite the maudras from each clan of Gelfling to partake in the meal with us. They brought their younglings with them too, so I often saw Brea with her older sisters, Tavra and Seladon.

During the feast, the kids would quietly play games with one another. I wanted to join in, but Skekso never allowed it. He said that Skeksis shouldn't stoop to the Gelflings' level, and that play in itself was meaningless and a waste of time. To spite him (and because I felt like it), I would sneak bits of food to Brea, who hungrily gobbled them up before either her sisters or mother could notice. Before the families left, Brea would give me a quick hug and often gift me with one of her many drawings. I hid them from the other Skeksis.

As I got older, more responsibilities fell upon my shoulders. SkekOk and SkekLach started bringing me along for the Tithing Ceremonies. Though I found them boring and pointless, I got to see Brea at least. Unfortunately, not as much as I wanted. Skekso stopped inviting the maudras to our feasts, once more throwing another tradition we regarded highly away. Moreover, I wasn't permitted to leave the castle without permission. I felt very sad.

During the journey to the Vapra castle, I would stare out the window of our carriage and think about Brea's sketches. Often I wished I could draw as good as her. I also knew how much the other Skeksis would make fun of me even if I did. And during the Tithing Ceremonies, me and Brea would sheepishly wave at each other, mouthing hellos to one another. Long story short, we pretty much NEVER saw each other.

Until that one day...