005. new you

The hallway is filled with students trying to get to their classroom. Some are even pushing eachother just to avoid being late. There's a soft tap on my shoulder.

"Goodmorning,"

"Morning," I reply, opening the door of the classroom to let both of us in.

"Question, how many kanji characters has this class learnt since the beginning of the schoolyear?" Langa asks, scratching the back of his neck.

"Uhm, I think around 100? I'm not so sure. Did the teacher ask you to catch up?" The small panicky nod from Langa answers my question.

"How am I supposed to learn kanji characters when I barely know the basic ones?" He whispers quickly before the teacher enters the classroom.

I sweatdrop at his question. Langa will have to catch up, but he's so far behind. A grade school kid could be around the same level as him.

As the class listens to Mrs. Kazahana ramble about the math theories I scan the class.

Who is good in kanji?

A little bit of time goes by, and then is why I realise ... no one is good at kanji. Of course, there are some students that score better, but that's because they study better than others.

The bell rings and I'm just chatting with Meiko until I get snatched away by Langa.

"Please tell me you've found someone that can help me with my kanji." He pleads. "Mr. Fukushima has been bugging me the whole day about finding a tutor."

"I don't thi- Mr. Fukushima! Hello."

"Ah, Langa. Is this the tutor you found for your kanji?" He immediately asks, completely ignoring my greeting.

"Actually.... yes! (L/n) will be tutoring me so I can catch up with my kanji."

I give Langa the nastiest look I can possibly give, and can see Langa shuddering while trying to continue the conversation with Mr. Fukushima.

"Well, I'm sure this will work out fine. I can't wait to see how you'll improve." Mr. Fukushima says and leaves the two of us alone.

"Why are you lying to him to make him stop asking you about it?!" I whisper-yell. "I don't even know how to teach kanji, and my grades aren't even that high!"

There seems to be no verbal reaction from Langa; only him bowing forward with his hands together and face facing towards the ground.

"You're going to make this up one day, you know that, right?" Langa nods happily and runs off to the lunch table with Reki.

Langa immediately starts talking and pointing towards me. Reki listens attentively and gives him a smack on the shoulder.

🌨

"No way! You chose a tutor on the spot and you got (l/n)?! A girl? And a pretty one too! Man, I wish this would happen to me one day." Reki whines.

Is (l/n) popular amongst the guys in our class? I haven't really talked to any guys except for Reki.

She is indeed very pretty...

Wait. Does that mean I'm talking to the prettiest girl in our class and I get to be tutored by her

Reki is right, I am so incredibly lucky.