The Dark Between Dreams [TEASER]

If you're interested in a more mature paranormal/urban fantasy story, then check out my other COMPLETED story, The Dark Between Dreams! It's about blade-wielding wlw ghosts that fight monsters in the afterlife

If you're interested in a more mature paranormal/urban fantasy story, then check out my other COMPLETED story, The Dark Between Dreams! It's about blade-wielding wlw ghosts that fight monsters in the afterlife. ...Yes, really. Find it on my profile!

🔻🔻🔻

Skye is dead.

With death, all semblance of living fades, including her memories. Now, there is only After, a makeshift city of souls surrounded by infinite darkness and terrifying monsters that tear ghosts apart. She's forbidden to leave and eventually becomes a scavenger—a ghost that searches the Dark, the wasteland that is the afterlife, for lost and buried relics carried over from Earth.

But while all other ghosts slowly lose their emotions and begrudgingly accept the eternity of darkness ahead of them, Skye refuses to spend her afterlife in a world without light. She knows there must be some way to escape the monsters that keep them all trapped in the Dark and return to the realm of the living, and she's going to find it...Even if she has to face the Prince of Monsters, himself.

Joined by other scavengers named Webb and Vale, Skye risks her existence and escapes the walled city of After in search of the truth. Venturing into the black reveals untold perils, but that's not all.

The Dark...and the Dark Prince, are guarding a terrible secret...

🔻🔻🔻

Chapter 1 🔻 The Dark

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." - Edgar Allen Poe

I wanted to scream

I wanted to scream.

But no matter how much I strained my lungs, only a strangled keen escaped my throat. No matter how fast I tried to run, it was as if some thick miasma slowed my movements—like I was stuck in a dream. Or...like I was trapped in a nightmare.

Because monsters were hunting me.

I couldn't see them, for either I had gone blind, or the world had been plunged into heavy, pulsating darkness, but I could hear them hissing and shuffling behind me on long, spindly, and numerous legs. I could feel them when they reached out with mangled hands and clutched at my clothes and hair as I ran.