Chapter 2: Stay

I feel a slight burn on my arm. Pulling down my pink sleeves, I begin to inspect the number fifty-two on my shoulder and wince when a sharp pain passes through it.

Ignoring the discomfort, I look around the room while Ms Chan continues to type something on her computer.

The walls of the office are grey, and the cotton chairs are a light shade of blue. There is a glass table to the left of me, supporting white flower-pots with peace lilies in them, and paintings of landscapes hang on each wall.

It's a stylish office, and I'd expect nothing less from Ms Chan. She once joked that instead of an evil, a blessing of style must be inside her.

"Are you sure you'd like to leave, Amora? No one will stop you if it's what you truly want," Ms Chan says, resting her arms on the wooden desk decorated with a laptop, a coaster, and a multicoloured vase.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"You'll be putting so many people in danger."

"That's not what I'm trying to do, Ms Chan."

"Intention hardly matters." She shakes her head. "I'm sorry. That must have sounded harsh. It's just my job to make sure every Vessel wanting to leave knows exactly what they're doing."

I nod my head, afraid to say anything more as I notice Ms Chan's worried expression. Her reaction doesn't surprise me, though. As the head of Pandora's House, she surely believes that it is best every Vessel stays here.

It's not that I think Pandora's House is a silly idea. In fact, it's probably the best idea people have ever had regarding Vessels. However, I've finished all I needed to do here, and I know my leaving can do so much good for everyone. There are times a person has to trust their gut, and for me, that time is now.

I would have preferred to pack my bags and leave, but it's a rule to let the head of the house know before you go. Ms Chan needs to let the main cities know of what's heading their way.

Also, I need to get funding for my departure. Everything my grandpa left me before he passed away is held by the head of this house. That, and government grants, have been paying for my stay here.

"Okay." Ms Chan sighs. "I'll be here at ten a.m tomorrow. We'll sort out all financial issues and transportation to the main gates then."

Ms Chan stands up and outstretches her hand across the desk. I do the same, taking her hand in mine and firmly shaking it.

"Thank you, Ms Chan."

She rounds the table, allowing me to gawk at her gorgeous outfit; a brown pencil skirt with a matching, tight-fitted top. She gracefully glides across the room in stilettos I would surely fall in.

"Ms Baros?" Ms Chan stands by the now opened door, and her voice snaps me out of her trance.

"Sorry." I chuckle and feel slightly embarrassed for staring at her.

As I reach the door, ready to leave, Ms Chan gently places her hand on my shoulder. "Tell me, Amora...Why are you leaving when there's nothing out there for you?"

I know if I tell her, she'll think I'm crazy. Even when I tell people stories, stories that the very existence of Vessels support, they think I'm crazy. It also doesn't help that she's an important figure. Grandpa always said I should be careful when trusting anyone in power.

Ms Chan sighs when I don't respond; she clearly knows I have no intention to.

"I'll be here at ten, Ms Chan." I smile as I turn away.

Without looking behind me, I hear Ms Chan close her office door. I, eyes kept on the floor, make my way past the other offices in this hall. They're occupied by people that will surely look down on me for wanting to go back to the main cities.