001

THE ACCIDENT

THE ONLY SOUND that filled Delilah's ears were the innocent cries of injured animals down in their kennels

THE ONLY SOUND that filled Delilah's ears were the innocent cries of injured animals down in their kennels. She sat outside the metal cage, caressing the head of a small dog as she continued to check her phone, like she had been doing for the past hour.

Her shift at the veterinary clinic ended in a few minutes and she was excited to take one of the dogs out considering that had healed up nicely after a surgery. The small dog whined when she stopped stroking him and she hushed him sweetly as she walked over to where the bigger dog was being held.

Bruce was a big german shepherd that had been in after a broken leg and Delilah wanted to take him back it first as he had been healing a lot faster than most of the dogs in the kennel.
She unlocked the gate and clipped on his lead before grabbing her keys and locking up the kennel.

The walk from the clinic and the park was quite far but she didn't mind, she liked the walks in Chicago especially when she had a friend like Bruce to go with her.
"That's it, good boy." she spoke, encouraging him to keep going.

The two of them were close to firehouse 51 when Delilah spotted two young kids chasing each other around the road. One of them screamed in laughter as they were being chased and heading towards Delilah and Bruce.
Bruce barked and tried to get free of his leash as they ran close to them, scaring him with the sudden movement, she pulled him back and tried to control him but tripped over one of the kids and let go of the leash.

"Damn it! Bruce!" she shouted, trying to get the dog to come back to her but signalling two paramedics instead.

They rushed over seeing the girl holding her ankle in pain.
"Hey you okay? I'm Sylvie and this is Peter let us help you." the blonde girl said, crouching down to take a look.

"Uh i'm fine thank you, it's just my ankle and my dog that's missing." Delilah said shaking her head in disbelief at the fact that she managed to loose a dog.

"Don't worry, as it's cold he's probably managed to find his way into the firehouse, how about we take you over there and deal with that ankle?" the tall male said, scooping his arm under hers to help her up.

"Oh okay, great thank you." she smiled.

"What's your name by the way?" the blonde, whose name was Sylvie, asked.

"Delilah, Delilah Jenkins, i work down at the veterinary clinic. The dog, he's called Bruce and he's not mine, so if i can't find him then i'm screwed." She huffed, annoyed with herself.

"Well hey look we are almost at the firehouse and once your ready we can go look for him if he isn't at 51." Peter said, helping the girl as she hopped into the entrance of the station.

As Peter set the girl down in one of the chairs, Sylvie rushed to grab some supplies from the ambulance parked in the entrance. Delilah studied the bruising around her ankle, looking up as two fire trucks pulled up and a load of fireman men jumping out.
They greeted the two paramedics and one came over to see what was going on.

"Hey who's this?" one of the firemen said, causing them all to come over and see what what happening.

"Oh this is Delilah, she hurt her ankle and her dog is missing, we're just gonna patch her up then go look for him." Sylvie said, making her way over to the girl who know had all the firehouse staring at her."

"Your dog, what breed is he?" a bald fireman said.

"Uh he's a german shepherd, he's called Bruce and he isn't mine. I work at the veterinary clinic a few blocks down, i was taking him out for a walk to see how he was healing after a surgery." Delilah said, giving them a small smile.

"This dog?" A tall guy said who came in through the doors, with a big german Shepard next to him.
Bruce barked as he smelled the scent of Delilah, causing laughs from the firemen.
"Here you go, looks like he missed you."

As Delilah looked up to thank the guy, she froze. She couldn't believe it, after 10 years she had finally ran into the man who she used to love.
"Kelly? Kelly Severide?" she spoke, her breath hitching in the throat.

"Lilah? Delilah Jenkins?" He said, stood in shock at just how much the girl had grown up, he studied the features she had, how beautiful she still looked even after all the years.

"Uh, you guys know each other?" Sylvie said, who was still working on Delilah's ankle.

"Yeah, we are old friends." She spoke, earning a look from Kelly as too why she said 'just friends'.

authors note
- first part out now, what do you guys think?