prologue

kusuo's POV:

i don't get excited over many things. there's no good in this world, for a psychic, at least. i'm so powerful that there's nothing outstanding about it, right?

well, there might be some things. such as the exquisite delight of coffee jelly, a hidden masterpiece on its own—or having a peaceful afternoon to myself where i can read manga without having my tacky parents bothering me every second.

however, i never thought there would be an actual human being that could catch my attention (in a good way.) she's always quiet, usually holding a book in her hands. she sits next to me, but even with everyone around me, she ignores the chatter.

she's unnoticeable, but noticeable, like a janitor in a high-class restaurant. a paradox.

she isn't ugly, nor is she super pretty; right in the middle. i wish i was like her, she blends in with the crowd perfectly...

someone you'd only spare a glance to if she was walking backwards. you would think of her as a background character or the student council treasurer who only gets five seconds of screen time in an anime. the person you'd only text when you want to vent, or the person you invite over to help you study. it's sad in its own way, but it proves she's a good person at heart.

and yet, she still captured my interest. the way she bites the end of her pen when she's thinking, how she scratches her leg when she's bored, or how she always has strawberry mochi in her lunch bag. she's got all these little mannerisms that make her unique.

her thoughts are ordinary, too. nevertheless, i'm always caught up peering into them during class. they never get repetitive.

i want to be like her, i really do. live the peaceful life of walking home alone, occasionally with others.

it's definitely felt unnatural. after all, i'm a psychic, getting excited over petty things such as a girl was definitely a surprise.

but one thing was a totally different feeling, certainly, it felt unreal.

my feeling of admiration towards her soon turned into a... crush? it was horrible. i know, it's completely normal for a teenager to feel attracted towards the opposite sex, occasionally the same one, so why was i so freaked out?

as i said, i'm the most powerful human on earth. i can read minds, create fires, travel in time, teleport, and so much more, why am i scared? it's so... immature.

it's like one of those phrases you hear ever so often, "i don't know if i want to be her or be with her." couldn't have described my situation any better.

how exactly did i realize? it's vivid.

she had dropped her pencil, it was far from her reach, so—of course, i picked it up for her.

she was close, i could smell her perfume and see the slight, red-tinted gloss on her lips. her mouth slightly parted before letting out a small "thank you."

suddenly, it felt hot. my face had heated up, and that was one of the only few times i was happy i had physic powers. the fresh, cold feeling met my cheeks on command.

i whispered a "no problem," telepathically, leaning back towards my chair.

i get it, all those feelings of full admiration had been piling up for months, leading to a crush.

i don't like it, i don't care how many times i repeat it, i don't like the feeling of my heart racing when i spare a glance, or the slight jealousy i feel when she talks to someone else, or the slight heat that rises up towards my face when bites her bottom lip, or the unsatisfying desire of wanting to get even closer to her every day.

the yucky shudders when i wake up, knowing i thought of her right before i went to sleep.

can you believe it—i got my FIRST crush on my second year of high school?

i mean, if it's a part of being an average schoolboy, i guess i can accommodate to it.

oh, (last name) (name), the girl i respect the most at P.K. academy.

keep in mind this chapter is kusuo's POV in the future!