41: The Yuki-onna's Final Selection

Alone. A word you once felt and had grown so accustomed to over the course of your life. It was a feeling that lingered like a shadow, always present but never truly acknowledged.

Were you nervous?

Yes. The butterflies in your stomach fluttered erratically, their wings brushing against your insides with a frantic energy that mirrored your own.

Were you scared?

Yes. The unknown stretched out before you like a vast expanse of darkness, swallowing up any semblance of certainty or security.

However, fear was undeniable, yet proscribed here. One must remain cool, calm, and collected. Be vigilant and on guard at all times. The weight of responsibility pressed down on your shoulders, a heavy burden that threatened to crush you under its unrelenting presence.

Carefully, you climbed up the stone steps, surrounded by the blooming wisteria trees that stood tall and ever radiant. Their delicate petals swayed in the gentle breeze, a silent chorus of beauty that whispered secrets of the night.

They were beautiful, especially when bathed in moonlight, but your mind remained focused on the upcoming challenge ahead of you as your (e/c) eyes glanced up at Fujikasane Mountain.

They were beautiful, especially when bathed in moonlight, but your mind remained focused on the upcoming challenge ahead of you as your (e/c) eyes glanced up at Fujikasane Mountain. The serene beauty of the landscape was momentarily soothing, but the weight of the impending task loomed heavy on your shoulders.

You knew that beyond the picturesque scenery lay a treacherous path filled with unknown dangers and formidable opponents.

At its mountaintop, there weren't any wisteria but pine, juniper, cedar, and oak. A forest infested with demons that were no doubt waiting for you. The dense foliage and eerie silence of the forest sent shivers down your spine, as you imagined the lurking presence of sinister creatures hiding in the shadows.

The trees seemed to whisper warnings of the perilous journey that lay ahead, their branches reaching out like twisted fingers ready to snatch you into the darkness. Despite the daunting prospect of facing the Demons, you steeled yourself for the challenges that awaited, determined to emerge victorious against all odds.

"Welcome to your final selection, Miss (Last Name)!" Said young Kiriya Ubuyashiki, Kagaya's only son.

He was accompanied by one of his younger sisters, whom you believed was Kanata. From your perspective, they were a splitting image of both their parents. With their hair styled in a bob (okappa) and vibrant kimonos, they looked like Ichimatsu dolls.

"I hope you're ready to begin your entrance exam."

You nodded to the young child and heir, feeling both confident and anxious at the same time. But you are still more than ready to start your survival test.

"Good. I assume you already know the rules, then?"

"Yes." You nodded again.

To become a Demon Slayer of the Demon Slayer Corps, you'll have to survive seven nights at the top of Fujikasane, surrounded by bloodthirsty demons, who have been captured and placed on the mountain as a test of your strength and courage. And since you're the only participant, you'll be all alone without any outside aid and have to fend for yourself against the terrifying creatures that lurk in the darkness, waiting for their chance to attack.