Everybody Hates Jail

DESIREE'S POV

The teacher starts to hand out these little papers out to everyone in the class. "Class, I have a announcement. We will be going on a field trip to Washington D.C." Ms. Morello says in excitement. Everyones face lit up. I looked at Chris and Greg with a smile on my face.

"You just need for your parents to sign your permission slip, and sell thirty boxes of cookies for the trip." She says. She walks up to me and Chris.

"Chris, Desiree, if your people are not able to afford to pay cash, ill see if they accept food stamps." She says to us. "How are we gonna get there?" Chris asks. "By chartering a bus." Ms. Morello answers.

"Be prepared to sit in the back." Caruso says. One day I'm going to end up throwing hands. He's lucky we're in school right now and I don't want to get into trouble.

☆☆☆☆☆

After my mom signed the permission slip,  I started to try and sell cookies. Key word, try.

I obviously sold two because Tyler and Brandon each bought one. I went to that lady who called me and Kyle cute and she bought two. I went to Jerome but I got robbed. So far I only sold four boxes.

I just knocked on random people's door most of them denied me but some bought some cookies which added up 3 so I now sold seven.

I thought to myself. What if I bought the boxes myself. But I pushed that thought out of my head since it would been a little bit expensive and it would be considered cheating.

I went home with the rest of the cookies and placed them on the floor as I jumped onto the bed.

The phone starts to ring and I groan into my pillow. I take a deep breath then exhaled. I bring my arm to pick up the phone.

"Hey Desiree!" The person chirped. "Hey." I say. "What's wrong?" Makayla asks. "Nothing I'm just tired. I have to sell cookies to go on a field trip to Washington D.C. I only sold seven boxes today." I answer.

"Well I mean, its still some progress. Right?" "Yeah but its still tiring." "Right. Well I'm going to let you get some rest. Bye." Makayla says then hangs up and I put down the phone.

I put my head back on my pillow and drift off to sleep.

☆☆☆

I folded my arms, fiddling with the edge of my sleeve that stopped just below my shoulders. I looked at the chart which had everyones name, and how many cookies they sold. Mine stopped two rectangles after five.

I examined the names and cookies that were sold with Chris and Greg. Until I stopped at Chris. Three cookies. Wow.

"Man, you have to get in order." I say to Chris. "Right? This is the best field trip all year." Greg says. "I might even get to see Tip O'Neill." Greg say. "Who is Tip O'Neill?" Chris asks.

"So you're telling me you haven't heard who Thomas 'Tip' O'Neill?" Greg asks to which me and Chris shake our heads, 'no'. "He's only like the most famous speaker of the House of Representatives ever." Greg says.

"Well I don't know what I can do. I knocked on at least 100 doors." Chris says. "Well, you better knock on 100 more, Jermaine. 'Cause if I'm not on that bus to D.C, I'm gonna freedom March on your face." Caruso says, coming out of nowhere may I add.

☆☆☆

I was walking down the street, trying to sell some cookies. It is way harder than yesterday. I feel stupid for doing this but I knocked four times on Keisha's door. I only did it because I was hoping her mom was home.

The door opens and I see her mom. I'm glad for that. "Hey, uhm I'm selling some cookies for my uh, school trip to D.C. I was wondering if you would like to buy one or two." I say. "Oh. Well I uh. You know what, sure. Let me get three in fact." She says. 

I smile and show her the options of cookies. She chosen her cookies and I wave bye to her and walk away.

I take a deep breath and walk to another house. They rudely declined but I tried to be cool and keep calm. "You know what, its fine you don't have to buy anything. Have a good day." I say, with a fake smile.

☆☆☆

By the time I got home I counted the money and sold about 8 boxes so that had me at 15 boxes of cookies.

I saw my mom all dressed up. "Hey mom, why are you all dressed up?" I ask. "Well I'm going to a Dreamgirls concert with Rochelle." She says with a huge smile. "Oh thats nice." I say.  "I know. Now, I know that your dad will be here but please watch after Kyle when your dad is asleep."

"But mom I wanted to hang out with Tyler today." I whine. "Well, I'm sorry but, thats not going to happen." She says. I smack my lips and walk off to my room.

I dial Tyler's number. It rang 3 times. Four times. Six times. It kept ringing until I realized he wasn't able to pick up. I put the phone down and lie down on my bed.

☆☆☆

I did it. I sold all of the cookies and now I'm getting on a bus to go to Washingtom D.C. Greg was rambling on about the president not being killed or whatnot. I just tuned him out. Since only two people can sit on one little bench, I have to sit behind them. I scooted over to the window side.

I felt a presence right next to me. I kept my eyes in the same place. "Uh hey." The person says.

I didn't really want to deal with anyone this trip besides Chris and Greg. I sigh and turn to them. I saw a boy with brown hair and light blue eyes.

I examined his outfit which consists of: Blue jean pants, a black shirt and a jean jacket. I look down at his black shoes then back up to his face. "Hi." I say with a small smile.

"I'm Alex." He says. "Desiree." I say. "Wait, Alex Vunel?" I ask. "Yeah. And you're Desiree Miller. You know me from somewhere?" He asks. "Well no. I mean, someone told me a bit about you. How do you know my last name?" I ask.

"Oh right. Well uhm, I asked your friend, Greg. And I asked someone named Fischer. You've heard of him before?" "Oh I definitely have. You a friend of Fischer?" "Well, not really. He just tells me stuff I need to know that's all."

"Right." I say. We talk about random things and get to know eachother through the whole trip.

☆☆☆

Ok guys I'm so excited bc one more episode until book two. Also I have so many questions and stuff.

I was thinking that Desiree should have bangs in like the third or fourth season.

Im also figuring out who her first kiss should be.

Im wondering if Makayla should move out to Bed-stuy or stay in Philadelphia.

I think that is all the questions and tuff I have and uh yeah.❤

Rider Strong as Alex Vunel