Chapter Three

I sat with my head leaning up against the window, looking at the town's surroundings as I rode through it. If it was raining, I would've looked like one of those kids in a coming-of-age movie that was having an existential crisis while they stared out the window of a bus with angst. Part of me was in denial, part of me felt like throwing up, and part of me was bewildered, trying to figure it all out.

"What the hell is this?"

That was the only thing I was able to utter, and I just kept saying it over and over again. My eyes glazed over as the people and houses I passed came in and out of focus. Every bump in the road reminded me that this wasn't a car on a highway, but a slow, horse-drawn carriage without a suspension system. The closer we got to the palace, the bigger the houses got and the more extravagant the clothes got. I turned my head straight, eyes staring at the carriage wall in front of me. Through the small window, I could see the head of the driver bouncing around. I wondered if he could hear me talking to myself.

"Hello, Mr. Driver sir, can you hear me?" I called out. No response.

"Mr. Driver, I am dying, if you can hear me, can you like, stop and help me not die?"

Still nothing, not even a head turn. I assumed that I was fine to continue thinking aloud. Slumping farther down into my seat, I tried to remember all I could about my character.

"Okay, so it sounds like I'm June, Ryia's lady in waiting. She's the one who... got hit by a carriage... was just a way for Ryia and Sawyer to spend time together... and then was never mentioned again," my mouth dropped in annoyance, "well, this just sucks." I almost felt bad for my character and the fact she only existed as a plot tool. I found it hard to believe that the author would just throw in a person who was supposed to be close friends with the main character only to never mention her again.

"Hold on, did Ryia just forget about her in the book? Weren't they supposed to be close friends or something?" I asked aloud as if someone was there to answer.

The more I thought about it, the more my heart dropped into my stomach. It was slowly sinking in that I was stuck in a world where my life had no real purpose.

"Whelp, at least I didn't get run over this time," I chuckled. Oliver's face flashed through my head, and I was reminded of what he had said. 'I can't believe I'm stuck here.' That perfectly summed up how I was feeling right now.

Turning my head back to the window, I let out an exasperated sigh and crossed my arms.

"What am I supposed to do now?"

***

Eventually, the carriage passed through the tall iron gates that surrounded the royal grounds and rolled to a stop in front of a massive castle that looked exactly like the 3D generated ones used in every manhwa ever created. The door of the carriage was opened by a guard in shiny silver armor with a red shirt peeking through. A large garden sprawled out in front of me. Sparkling fountains bubbled, little chirping birds hopping in and around them. Butterflies drifted from flower to flower, and large oak trees cast shadows over the bright green grass, their leaves dancing with every small breeze.

Waiting on the walkway to the palace was Ryia, standing next to Sawyer. When she saw me, she scampered over and worriedly grabbed my hand. Sawyer strode after, catching up to join us.

"Ryia, let's head inside and find a place to rest," Sawyer looked down at Ryia, his golden eyes glinting in the sun, and spoke to her instead of me as if I didn't exist.

"Yes, let's make sure she finds a cool place to lay down," Ryia added. Her grip on my hand tightened. The three of us started walking through the gold-decorated doors and into the palace.