The Gift of Giving

One of the Discord channels I'm in is doing a gift exchange this year and this short fic is my gift for Elz.

Before this gift exchange, I had no idea who Ailyn Vel was so I've been frantically researching everything I could about her. I also kept this short in the hope that I wouldn't make her seem out of character. Elz, I hope you enjoy this small one-shot!

-

She didn't usually frequent cantinas, but Ailyn would make an exception during this time of year.

The time of year was slowly approaching, where families gathered together to feast, socialize, and to celebrate family. The time of year where parents and children happily exchanged gifts; the time of year when fathers and daughters; the time of year where mothers and daughters—

Ailyn cut that train of thought off, taking a long sip of her drink.

This small, dank cantina was a great escape from that for the time being. Right now, she didn't want to be looking at happy families. She couldn't bear to look at happy daughters running through the streets, pointing at what they wanted as a gift, with a mother trying to rein her in with exasperated fondness. It reminded her too much of her mother, who she'd never get another celebration with.

She tilted her head back, polishing off her drink. Ailyn contemplated ordering another, but eventually decided against it. She didn't want to walk home drunk and she was meeting up with Koska; it had been a while since the two had been able to get together and just talk.

It also helped that Koska knew her and didn't expect Ailyn to get her a gift for the upcoming day. She was eternally grateful to her friend for knowing her situation and staying close to her regardless.

Ailyn was broken out of her thoughts by noticing someone sitting on her left side. Swivelling as fast as she could, her racing heart calmed at the sight of Koska staring at her with a raised eyebrow. "Something wrong?"

She couldn't help snorting in response. "Absolutely nothing. Want something?"

Koska shook her head, smiling lightly. "I'm fine."

Ailyn had a feeling that she should smile back, but just wasn't feeling it today. She almost never did anymore. She shrugged. "Suit yourself. Anything interesting happen recently?"

Her friend hesitated and Ailyn frowned. Koska was absolutely not one to hesitate. "Yes, actually. There's a new Mand'alor."

Her eyes widened, surprised. "Really? Who?"

"Din Djarin," Koska replied. Ailyn hummed, she'd never heard of him. "He hasn't seemed very enthusiastic about it so far." Koska tapped her fingers against the table, and then continued, "I also saw someone who should be dead."

Ailyn raised an eyebrow. "That seems to be happening a lot lately. Who was it?"

Koska made eye contact. "Your father."

She froze. "No, he-he's dead. That's what everyone said."

Her friend shrugged. "I saw him, spoke to him, fought him. He looks like he's been through some shit, but he is very much alive."

Ailyn swallowed against the lump in her throat, also trying to calm the rising anger. After losing her mother, she had searched endlessly for her father, wanting to avenge her mother's death. Then, she had found out he was dead, knocked into a Sarlacc Pit; she had been forced to accept that his death that way was enough for her and try to move on. Ailyn had done a good job at pretending this was fact but now, faced with his survival, she could feel herself spiralling once again.

She jumped slightly at the hand on her shoulder. "Will you be alright?"

Ailyn thought about it, seriously thought about it. The rage she felt at just hearing he was alive meant... "I need to see him."

Koska nodded. "When are we leaving?"

She turned to her friend in surprise. "You want to...come with me?"

"'Course I do," Koska replied. "If only to see the look on his face."

Ailyn was once again reminded how utterly grateful she was for Koska. She was the closest thing Ailyn had to family after the loss of her mother and, while it wasn't what she had been expecting, Ailyn was used to two-person families.

Besides, finding out her father was alive could technically be considered a gift, whether she got to avenge her mother or something else she wasn't yet willing to consider.

She sighed internally. She guessed it was time to look for a gift for Koska.

-

AO3: BlueHairedGrace1010

FanFiction.net: Blue-Haired-Wonder

Tumblr: blue-haired-grace