Chapter 5

Lydia Claire thoughtfully ran a finger over the rim of the red cup in her hand. She had almost completely emptied the contents without really noticing. Her attention was already on her classmates around her.

The first two days had been less eventful than she had expected. She had used the time to observe the other students and surely get an overview of the situation. Still, she had stayed away from the others, for now, spending most of her time with Hope instead. The latter had checked in on her surprisingly often since they had arrived together. A behavior she had never known from her before. In New Orleans, her cousin had hung out alone somewhere and had avoided contact with her. But perhaps the fact that they were now attending the Salvatore School together could bring about the change in their relationship that Lydia had always wanted.

So she had avoided further questions regarding the Saltzman twins, for fear of letting the newly blossoming relationship fade before it could develop. Hope didn't seem to mind, for no attempts to broach the subject came from her. Still, Lydia couldn't completely forget about it. Instead, she noticed how her thoughts kept drifting off and her gaze fixed on the sisters in class. Hope had not given her more than a flippant explanation for the horrible relationship between the three of them. Often she had made the experience that it was best not to stir up a hornet's nest. In this case, however, she could not hide her curiosity. While she didn't know Lizzie Saltzman, she couldn't imagine that she harbored a completely groundless grudge against Hope.

Completely lost in thought, she had drained the last sip from her cup and was crushing the red plastic between her fingers. Hope couldn't spot her among the students, which gave Lydia two choices. Either she continued to stand around alone, observing the people around her, or she approached someone. Without much thought, she reached a decision.

She casually tossed the empty cup into one of the surrounding trash cans before starting to move. Her eyes wandered over the people around her. She had spent time alone with one of them so far, and only a few faces looked familiar. No wonder, when she had classes with the other witches all day. When she asked if it was always like this, Hope had assured her that it would change with time. At that moment, she wished for that change sooner rather than later. Before, she might have enjoyed being alone. At a party, however, it was the last thing she wanted. Sitting around alone all evening would not only not give her the image she wanted, but it would also quickly bring on oppressive boredom.

For a few blinks, her eyes wandered over the bystanders. They lingered on the two girls who had been on her mind for days. Inwardly she cursed herself for it. But no matter how hard she tried. She could not tear her attention away easily. Instead, she stared in that direction, trying to assess what they were doing.

Her uncle Marcel had taught her that her eyes were her most valuable tool. If one observed with them, you could see behind the facade of both friend and foe. That was what made a good leader victorious. Earlier, she had not understood what he meant. The older she got, the better she began to understand what he was trying to tell her. Those who looked correctly saw a pattern in the behavior of others that eluded others. It was a tactic she hadn't relied on enough before. If she was going to find out what stood between the Saltzman twins and Hope, it was time she took greater advantage. No one seemed interested in just telling her, after all.

Lizzie's eyes fixed on the boy in front of her. This one had caught Lydia's eye, as she had waited outside the entrance. Lizzie seemed to have remembered him at least as much. Nervously she played with one of her light blond strands. Her gaze fixed firmly on her opponent. Her sister seemed to have blanked her out.

Josie had sat down on one of the walls that stretched through the forest, keeping the past alive. Her brunette hair blew gently in the cool evening breeze. She had put her legs loosely on the ground, and it almost seemed as if she didn't mind waiting for her sister. Lydia had the feeling that this was only a facade. It was the way Josie stared into her cup as if it were the most alluring sight at this party. Her eyes seemed clouded and drenched in boredom. Yet she said nothing but paused silently in place. She draped her arms in her lap. Lydia couldn't help but think back to what Hope had spoken about the twins' relationship. Lizzie was the one Hope hated, and Josie went along with it. From the looks of it, things weren't just like that in terms of their relationship with the Mikaelsons. She was determined to figure out, how much truth her assumption beheld.