snakes and insects

It was an early Saturday morning, and you were currently driving with a 10 year old sitting shotgun. 

Should he be there?

Probably not. Especially considering the fact that he was barely tall enough to look out the window.

But eh, who cares. He insisted after all, and who were you to deny the adorable child?

"Are we there yet?" whined said child.

"Hm, I don't know. Does it look like we are?" you retort.

"....No."

That seemed to shut him up, until–

"Ooh! Are we there yet?" he whines again.

"....Yes."

"Rea–" is all he gets to say before you burst out laughing.

"No."

"That was mean, Y/N."

"You do realize that I'm the one who agreed to drive you to a pet store, on a Saturday morning, just to look at spiders when I could be working on homework or sleeping in, right, Rui?" 

"...."

You raise your eyebrows at the sudden silence.

"Fine, I'll stop asking..." he says reluctantly.

"Too bad, we're here," you tell him.

"You're lying again, aren't you?" he questions.

"Nope, look out the window," you say, chuckling at his distrust of you.

"Ohmygodwerehereicanfinallybuildmyarmyofspiders–"

"....What."

"Why are you looking at me like that? I didn't do anything!" he says, trying his best to bat his eyelashes and look as innocent as possible.

You laugh, since there's obviously no way he could actually build an army of spiders. 

"If you say so. Now come on, let's go," you say, ushering him out of the car. 

You enter the store, holding his adorable little hand in yours, making sure he doesn't wander off. 

"Can we go to the–"

"Yes," you reply automatically.

"But you don't even know what I was gonna ask!" Rui says.

"Rui, I don't know if you know, but your spider obsession isn't exactly a secret," you tell the boy.

"What if I said I actually wanted to look at butterflies?"

"Do you?"

"Um....no."

"That's what I thought. Now come on!" you say, dragging him over to find the spiders.

"Y/N! Is that you?" a voice calls out from a distance.

Turning around, the you find that the voice is from someone no other than Shinobu. 

"Shinobu! Hi! And Mitsuri, you're here too!" you say, spotting the pink-haired girl behind her. 

"Hi Y/N!" Mitsuri greets you cheerfully.

"Hi! What are you guys doing here?" you ask them.

"Oh, I needed to get some stuff for my entomology project, and I asked Mitsuri to come along. What about you?" she said.