| bonus: christmas surprise

Linney waited outside the apartment, the bag of groceries in her arms crinkling and growing heavier every second. She had a key to the apartment, but it was buried somewhere deep in her heavy purse.

With three rapid kicks, she announced her arrival. Heavy footsteps thundered before the lock slid open, revealing Dave with Snoopy wagging her tail in the background.

Dave waved a hand. "Hey, Linney, come in, come in."

"Thanks! How are you?"

"A lot better now that Jim's fiancée is home. He's been unbearable."

She tipped her head back, cracking up as she entered her new home. "Merry Christmas, roomie," she said, pausing to kiss his cheek.

With lighthearted chatter, Dave helped her unpack the groceries, and Snoopy danced around their feet until Caroline stooped to greet her.

The dog's tail thwacked the cupboards until Dave laughed and tucked her under his arm. "Okay, the two of us are gone. Have a good night!"

"Thanks again! See you tomorrow."

Dave clipped the leash to Snoopy's jangling collar before they jetted out the door. Linney tied her thick chestnut curs hair back and surveyed the kitchen, hands on her hips. "Time to get to work."

The smile on Jim's face when he walked in an hour later was everything she hoped for. The door clicked shut behind him, and he found her near the dining room table. With her fingers interlaced, she turned to face him. She dipped her hip to the side, holding her arms out in a bashful gesture. "Surprise."

Sucking in a breath, he removed his coat. Caroline was wearing a deep green turtleneck that barely grazed the top of her tight jeans. "Damn, you look gorgeous. Hi there."

She quickened her steps as she ran toward him and leapt into his arms. He was nearly six inches taller than her and swept her up for a long kiss hello. "Hey, sexy. Merry Christmas. You look like my Christmas present."

He hummed in happiness, walking them over to the couch, then paused as he recalled he had wet shoes on. Holding her higher, they laughed as he stumbled his way through removing them, then strode over to the couch.

"Mmm, I missed you," he said between kisses. They had been apart for eleven days. It was their second Christmas together, and they had been engaged for a couple of weeks. "How was Christmas in California?"

Caroline's eyes slid shut at the heat and taste of Jim's mouth on hers. "Stupid," she whispered, fisting his hair in her hands. "How was your holiday?"

In a single, fluid motion, he was on his feet, gripping her body while carrying her to the bedroom, his mouth seeking hers with hot pursuit. "Mine, too."

***

The next half hour was a delicious Christmas gift delivered painstakingly slow. Everything about Jim Garrett was familiar and warm, and yet the way he always took charge spread warmth inside her in a different way. His scorching kiss was like flames licking her body, and she lived to burn bright under his touch.

When he watched her, she felt safe and sexy. He held her securely, like the most precious thing in his life, but he was anything but a gentleman in those private moments. And she loved it; she welcomed him leaving his mark everywhere.

Everybody knew that while she was soaking up the sunshine in California, that Jim, Dave, and a few of their buddies would move Caroline into their apartment. They officially worked and lived together as of that day, and had secretly been making plans even before they were officially engaged to get married that following summer.