ii.

02 | DINNER TIME

Both the twins had offered to dry the dishes in the evening, much to Laura's disagreement. But Clint washed and the two dried, and it was efficient, so she had agreed after some convincing. Laura was setting up dinner now, humming a song that the Maximoffs had never heard.

Cooper was reading a book in the living room, sprawled across the couch while Lila was dressing her dolls. Wanda looked up from the shining white plate that she was towel drying and watched as Lana made her way towards the living room.

"Nathaniel is finally asleep," Lana announced with a sigh.

"Thank you," Laura said with her trademarked mom smile. "I appreciate it."

Lana smiled at Laura before collapsing on the couch beside Cooper, who began rambling on about what he had just read in his book excitedly. Soon Clint called into the living room, informing them that dinner was ready.

Lila and Cooper both cheered, only to be silenced by Laura, who reminded them of Nathaniel. They both calmed down, looking annoyed with their little brother and his stealing of their celebration while Lana shook her head fondly as they made their way over to the table.

The table was rectangular, three chairs on one side, two on the other with Nathaniel's high chair, and one on each end. The kryptonian took a chair on Pietro's right. She wasn't sure about Pietro, who was still quite reserved, but she was willing to try to make some sort of friendship.

Wanda sat on Pietro's other side, Laura sat at one end of the table next to Wanda, Lila and Cooper sat together, Lila on Laura's left and Cooper on Lila's left. And Clint sat at the other end of the table in between Lana and Cooper.

Pietro sat up as everyone began eating, and Wanda tried not to stare as Lana placed some chicken on her plate. Clint went for the mashed potatoes right away, swiping them right before Cooper could.

"Save some for me!" Cooper begged frantically as Clint shovelled potatoes on his plate.

Clint gave his popular smirk, peering over at his son. "I'm gonna eat them all! There'll be none left for you, you punk."

Cooper broke out in a large grin as he grabbed at the potatoes. "No! I'm going to eat all of them before you get any!"

They continued their banter, Lana, Laura and Wanda smiling at them from across the table. Lila was working hard on trying to gulp down all of her apple juice in one chug while Pietro watched in interest, sticking a forkful of chicken breast into his mouth.

"So, little man, I hear you broke the tire swing while I was gone?" Clint began, looking pointedly at Cooper, a smile on his face.

"It was an accident!" Cooper explained quickly, his eyebrows shooting up. "Lana helped me fix it."

"It's okay, buddy," Clint reached over and ruffled Cooper's hair, earning a wide beam from his son before turning to the blonde kryptonian. "And thank you for making my life easier by doing that."

Lana flashed him a grin in response as she took another bite of her chicken while Lila spoke. "But what about the coyote?"

"Coyote?" Clint grumbled, annoyance clear on his face.

Lila pouted. "It ate the white-spotted chicken. She was my favourite."

Laura frowned, "Hey, it's okay, honey, we-"

Lana?

Lana was startled, blocking out Laura's voice and nearly dropped her fork. What was that? It sounded like a voice. She was crazy. Yep. Lana was going crazy.

You're not crazy. Look up.

Lana lifted her head, glancing around the table as discreetly as she could. Wanda was gazing over at her. The kryptonian raised her eyebrows when she met the brown-haired witch's eyes.

Wanda?

Lana felt ridiculous, thinking a question as if Wanda would hea-

Yes.

Lana choked on her food.

She quickly picked up her napkin and coughed into it repeatedly. The Bartons paused their conversation, looking at her questionably while the kryptonian waved them off, reassuring them that it was fine.

Can I, um ... can I help you? Lana thought uncertainly, unable to stop herself from looking up at her again. She cleared her throat as the coughing fit finished.

I'm sorry for Pietro's attitude.

Oh ... okay. I mean, thanks, no problem.

He's just protective. He won't say it, but he's thankful to have someone else to talk to.

Pietro furrowed his brows at this.

You know, in order to talk to someone, you actually have to talk to them. The speedster thought playfully.

Huh.

"Lana?" Lana looked up quickly to see Clint, Laura, Cooper and Lila looking at her worriedly.

"You okay there, Lana?" Clint questioned with a raised brow.

Lana flashed him a grin, nodding. "Ah, yeah, I'm fine. Sorry. Just zoned out."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Laura asked.

"Yep, perfectly fine."