Mending Hearts Back- I

Ram stood dumbfounded as the thin sheet of paper slipped from his hands. The letter by Ishaan had opened his eyes to many things that were conveniently kept hidden from him since years. Priya would be leaving the next day as finally the deal was signed. He had managed to convince the minister that he and Priya were a couple. Her going away at this moment would do nothing but bring a huge catastrophe in Ram's life. He had merely entered his room to take the gift he had left behind to give Vikrant and Sara on their wedding. Instead, here, he was the one getting the biggest shock of his life. He immediately ran downstairs. The gift long forgotten, the letter tightly gripped in his hand.

In the hall, he could see Vikrant and Sara, his now wife taking the blessings of his parents. Seeing him, little Pihu ran up to him and tugged at his hand.

"RK, where were you? I was searching for you. You know, I have saved so many gulab jamus for me and you. We will eat them together after everyone leaves, chalega na?" Pihu asked innocently while fidgeting with his ring and swaying his hand gently. He had finally gotten her to not call him Mr. Khadoos and RK was a better option anyway.

Ram's eyes welled up seeing the little angel looking at him with her twinkling eyes and infectious smile. And he couldn't rob her of that. In the past few days, he had been successful in establishing a wonderful relationship with Pihu. She really was the sweetest child he had knows and she had made him change his attitude towards her.

"RK", she elongated the letters purposely to gain his attention, "You didn't answer me?" She asked again, this time a little irritated.

Ram took a deep breath, stuffed the letter in his sherwani pocket and gently picked up Pihu.

"We will definitely eat it together Pihu. I love gulab jamuns as much as you do" He smiled his most pretentious smile that obviously a four and half year old couldn't make it out.

"See, I had told you to set your hair properly. It is again falling on your forehead" Pihu whined and started setting his hair. While she was busy in doing that, Ram, through his peripheral vision saw Krish looking at them intently.

The expressions in Krish's eyes would have been indecipherable for anyone but Ram was an exception. He knew it very well. Krish was looking at him and Pihu with emotions of anger, disgust and jealousy.

"Dekho, ho gaya" Pihu's sweet voice echoed in his ears and he ignored Krish and held Pihu more tigher in his arms, if that was possible. She was again smiling at him victoriously.

"Thank you nanhi Pihu" Ram replied kissing her cheeks and her smile widened. "Acha, now will you listen to one thing I ask you to do?" Ram asked in a less playful tone and Pihu merely nodded.

"Gulab jamun tastes the best with Vanilla ice cream. And right now, we don't have any in the house. Will you go with Kunal uncle and get it? I am sure you will love it too. And also go for a long drive. The rituals here may take some time to finish and you will get bored. I will call once they are over and you can come back"

"Wow!! Ice cream and long drive. Yayay" Pihu excitedly clapped her hands. Ram called Kunal and instructed him accordingly. Seeing Ram's face, Kunal understood the seriousness of the matter and he solemnly nodded before holding Pihu's hand who had now slipped down from Ram's embrace.

She walked ahead with Kunal but turned back to look at Ram. She narrowed her eyes, put her free hand on her chin and asked, "What about Ms. Sood?"

Ram gave her a faint smile. "Don't worry, I will tell your Ms. Sood where you have gone. Enjoy your long drive"

"Okay" And with a skip in her steps, she went with Kunal.