CHAPTER THREE

Steve was surprised to walk outside of his house and find Two-Bit standing with a party popper. "What are you doing, man?" He chuckled as his friend pulled the string, sending confetti flying out towards him.

     "It's my way of saying congratulations!" Two-Bit smiled and waved away the smoke. "You know, for getting your new fancy job."

     Steve rolled his eyes and shook his head. "It really aint all that fancy."

     "Shoot, it's one more job than I got." The redhead threw down the popper, promising to pick it up later, but Steve knew that wouldn't be the case. "Come on, kid, I'm taking you to the Curtis house. You're finally gonna meet my other friends and start having fun. I know I ain't your ideal way to spend any afternoon."

     "Don't say that, Two-;it. You're the best friend I got." Steve knocked Two's shoulder lightly with his own.

     Two-Bit looked down, avoiding eye contact. "Yeah, well just wait until you meet some of these guys. You'll love them."

     "Well I gotta be back home fairly soon, so I won't be able to stay for very long. My dad asked if I could run by the store and get a few things, and you know what'll happen if I don't."

     Two-Bit sighed, knowing that it would mean a night spent out in the cold lot. "They'll understand, now come on!"

     The walk was shorter than Steve had anticipated. He stopped before entering the gate to a worn out looking house. "Are you sure they'll like me?" He asked, uneasy.

     "Yeah, Steve. Come on, would I lie to you?"
"Yes." Steve said, recalling the many times that Two-Bit had, in fact, lied to him.

     Just before the two boys climbed up the stairs to the porch, the screen door burst open and a boy came running out, nearly knocking Two-Bit over. "Gah-ly Sodapop!" The redhead called out. "Where you going?"

     Another guy came out in a hurry behind him. "Soda! Don't forget to stop by the store and get milk when you're done or else we won't have anything for breakfast!"

     The guy that Steve could now recognize as "Sodapop", waved behind him. "Will do, Darry! Two, say hi to your friend for me!" And then he was gone. Steve couldn't help but feel like he recognized him from somewhere.

     "Where's he going, Darry?" Two-Bit asked.

     "Oh, his boss called him in for some last minute training or something. Should only last an hour or so." He shifted his attention to Steve. "Keith here's been talking about bringing a friend over. You must be Steve?"

"Yeah, that's me." He had to fight back a smirk at hearing Darry call Two-Bit his real name.

     "Name's Darry," he extended his arm out to shake his hand. "It's nice to meet you. Come on in."

     Steve was surprised at how homey it felt on the inside. Two-Bit grabbed Steve's hand and dragged him over to the couch where two boys were sitting. "This one right here is Ponyboy and this one is Johnnycake. Good luck getting either of them to say something to you."

     "Awe, lay off, Two-Bit." Ponyboy groaned. "It's nice to meet you."

     "Nice to meet y'all too." Steve said. "You sure all have interesting names."

     "My real name is just Johnny." Spoke the darker haired teen, quietly.

     "So, Steve?" Darry crossed his arms and leaned up against the wall. "Heard a lot about you from Two-Bit. How come you've never came around before now?"

     "Oh, I just been real busy, I guess. Been trying to do some odd jobs here and there to help out with bills for my dad."

     Darry's eyes softened, knowing the pain and burden of having to tackle bills at a young age. "You lookin for a place to work? My job's always hiring. It ain't nothing fancy, but it pays."

     Steve smiled, slightly, grateful for the offer from basically a stranger. "Thanks, but I actually just got a job. Steady schedule and pay, so I should be able to hang out with Two-bit and his friends more often."

     "It's a shame Soda ain't here." Ponyboy spoke up. "You probably would get along with him good. He can make anyone feel welcome."

     "That's what I was saying!" Two-Bit jumped in.

     There was an awkward pause of silence. After about a minute, Johnny spoke. "That probably wouldn't have happened if Soda were here."

     Pony and Two-Bit laughed and things felt a little less tense. A ding was heard from the kitchen and Darry walked into it. "You fixin' some chocolate cake, Superman?" Two-Bit followed Darry into the kitchen, pulling Steve with him. "Stevie here is a chocolate cake fiend!"

     Steve nudged his friend, feeling uncomfortable. "Come on, man. I can't just show up and eat their cake."

     "Relax, kid." Darry chuckled as he pulled it out of the oven. "I made it for you. Two-Bit already told me how much you like it."

     "Oh really?" Steve glared at the redhead. "What else did he tell you?"

     "We don't need to talk about that!" Two-Bit tried to jump in, but Darry was already speaking.

     "Told me all about your family problems."
Steve wanted to die right then and there. Well, he wanted to kill Two-Bit first, and then die.

     "Look, any friend of Two-Bit, well," Darry reconsidered his wording, "Most friends of Two-Bit are friends of mine. You seem like you got a good head on your shoulders. Our front door is always unlocked, so if your dad kicks you out, you're welcome to sleep on our couch anytime."

     Steve shifted, uncomfortably, not used to such generosity. "Well, thanks. But since I got my new job, I should be good for a little bit."
"Where do you work now, anyhow?" Darry asked.

     Steve smiled, proud of his accomplishment. "The DX Gas Station. I'm the new mechanic."

     "No kidding?" Darry smiled back. "That's where Sodapop works, too! Looks like y'all will be meeting each other sooner than later."

     "He does?" Steve looked over at Two-Bit. "How come you never mentioned that?"

     His friend shrugged. "Forgot."

     Steve rolled his eyes, before glancing at the clock. "Well, the store closes soon. I should probably head out."

     "No cake?"

      "Next time, for sure. Thank you for the offer. And for the offer about your couch, too. I'll, uh, I'll see y'all later."

     "I'll walk you out." Two-Bit followed after Steve. When they made it outside he paused. "You okay, man? You've seemed down lately, but really down now. What's wrong?"

     Steve's thoughts turned to his tattoo, and of his unknown soulmate. He couldn't admit that was his issue. "Nothing, Two. I'm fine."

     Two-Bit frowned, and the sight was slightly unnerving, seeing as how he was almost always smiling. "I care about you, a lot, and you can tell me anything. You know that, right?"

     Steve raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, Two-bit. I'll keep that in mind." He turned and began walking. "I'll see you later."

     Two-Bit watched him walk away, his fingers reaching up to brush against his own shoulder, where his soulmate's words were tattooed onto his skin.

Written by: greaserbabes