Chapter 4

"The first time I saw you, I knew I had to meet you. I didn't know when or how, but I knew I would." - The Age of Adaline, in theaters April 24

Los Angeles 1950

DECADENT was the perfect word for what my life had become. Frank's brother James worked as an events director at the TCL Chinese Theatre and luckily for me, there had been an opening. It wasn't anything grand but it would have to do. I was a sort of seat filler, filling in for the temporarily empty seats during award shows or some sort of fancy gala. Other times I would accompany James to the after-parties as his personal assistant and even sometimes earned some extra cash as a waiter.

Frank and I still remained in touch by telephone and though I had tried not to, I was far too tempted to ask about Amelia. The answers I received were painstakingly frustrating. I had been so angry at myself for leaving and for a long while I had even considered returning but Frank had been the one to stop me. Amelia had come by the factory every day for a month asking questions about my disappearance and she had not been the only one. Fairchild Junior had been hot on my tail and so had Ian but after three months, had given up by shredding my files and replacing my empty job with someone far older. By the six month stage I had stopped asking about Amelia when Frank had said she had apparently met someone. I didn't want to know anymore not because I was jealous of this man's affections but because he could give her what I never could.

When two years had passed and I had still not endured any physical change, I knew I was trapped. An aging soul in a twenty-three year olds body and I had begun to feel it; the aging - every single day.

All I ever did now was attend these shows, go to the parties and have as much fun as I could with my newest friend, Max. After Ian, I had been reluctant to trust anyone but James but Max had been determined and elbowed his way into my affections. I treasured his friendship very much.

I had my own apartment - small but comfortable. It was a new life, a new start and though I was thankful for everything that had come my way, I feared that I would be living many more.

Now as I settled on my lumpy couch with a cold beer in hand, I couldn't help but let my thoughts settle on Amelia. And no matter how much alcohol I consumed, nothing made me forget the promise I had given her.

"Lincoln?" A voice called from my door.

I instantly smiled recognising the voice.

"Don't you think we've had enough fun for the day?" I called as I brought myself to my feet with a groan and swung open my front door.

Max grinned brightly at me with his slicked back hair and all American boy look.

He too, was a seat filler. "Time to have some fun, Parker, c'mon we're going out."

I glanced at the clock then leaned against my door unamused. "I was really thinking of just -"

"Don't be such a killjoy, Parker, it's only five! C'mon, we'll go grab dinner then a drink!"

I could never say no to Max and he knew it. He had that charisma that could make a dead man smile, so reluctantly yet grinning, I handed my beer to him to finish and went in search for my leather jacket.

"You really gotta get out there more, buddy. I see the way Patricia looks at you, I think tonight's your night."

I cast a glance at him as I pulled the old favourite on and adjusted the collar. "You didn't invite her out tonight, did you?"