Christmas Star

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
*WARNING:
° Lengthy chapter ahead! °
° There will be grammar mistakes here and there. °
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Despite stern scoldings echoing after familiar childish screams all over their sweet home, Inari's focus on the bright screen of her expensive device remained resolute. The reason for this was almost ten years of horrible-smelling diaper exchange training and sudden, intense slaps of sisterhood right across her face. Now, discovering their broken, highly pigmented crayons in the stacks of her school assignments has become an uninvited part of her mundane teenage life.

Little hands flew across her face, hindering her eyes from drooling over the portrait of her new crush, who, fortunately, was her classmate.

"All I had asked for was a few peaceful moments throughout these holidays. ALONE. Was it too much to ask?" Her weak, defeated sigh got smothered under the heavy bickering as soon as it left her mouth.

"Give me my socks back, nuthead."

The little devil holding little red socks with pink polka dots retracted his hands while the rightful owner of those socks chased the thief, intending to snatch away what was rightfully hers.

"Hah. "Get it yourself, shortie." Daniel, the eldest among the twins, teased his sister while circling behind Inari, "Maybe you should ask Santa for height as a Christmas present instead of a Barbie set." He added, flashing his evil, victorious smile.

The said girl's cheeks flushed with fuming anger at the teasing of her brother, who was relishing the perks of being older by ten seconds. In an instant, she climbed up Inari's legs and hurled herself at the boy standing on the other side of the sofa.

"Nessa," Inari called out to the younger girl calmly, and she waited for the wrestling going on in her lap to cease. But the flickering of her left brow denoted her slowly thinning patience, as the notorious duo had rejected her peace call and continued their insignificant fight.

The last straw of her sanity flew away in the chilling wind of December when the sound of something precious crashed into the hard marble of the hall.

Suddenly, everything went silent. The only sounds were the bubbling sounds of the soup and the sweet melody of Carol's heard on their radio.

Both twins glanced at each other, their eyes as big as the biggest set of saucers could be in their home from the utter horror.

Nessa climbed down quietly, standing beside her brother in a line. Both their heads were down, facing their little feet. Their small lips swelled into pouts at the guilt arising from their mischievous act.

The deed had been done, and the storm was about to come when they saw Inari's dumbfounded expression change into something scary and dreadful.

"Why are you both always such a pain in the ass?" She scolded, raising her voice to an unexpectedly higher tone.

"Language! Inari." Her mother rushed out of the kitchen, wiping her wet hands on the apron around her waist. Her attention soon drifted to the broken screen of the device lying near Inari's feet.

Both the twins scurried away from their sister's furious eyes to hide behind their mother. Their heads were peeking through their mother's sides like curious kittens.

Meanwhile, the woman looked at her eldest daughter, eyes softening a bit, and said, "I know what they did is wrong, but they are children, sweetie." They are still younger than you. Once the phone is repaired, it will be back to the way it used to be. She walked towards Inari, her palm gently resting on her shoulder to deliver motherly comfort.

Her voice was gentle, and yet to Inari, her words pierced like frozen arrows, slicing through her chest.

Yes. Inari was angry, but not because of the broken phone. She was enraged at being expected to act like the eldest child all the time. She was furious at being ignored and replaced by her parents when she needed their affection and soft pats on her difficult days.

Her eyes glisten at the memory of her childhood.

The days when she was the only one to receive all their love The days where she would fall asleep with both her parents at her side while cuddling There was no other toddler or child to snatch away their attention.

Everything seemed like a dream. A dream that Inari longed to return to but sadly could not.

Her moist, red eyes shot a sharp glare at her nine-year-old siblings before looking at her mother with hatred and hurt. She had never complained about them. She played her role as a sister honestly and shared her part of love and affection with them.

You always take their side and advise me to adjust to their mischief. And like a good daughter and sister, I do. I always ignored my priorities to put them first. But have you ever considered my feelings? Have you ever asked me if I was fine with all these responsibilities?"

Her mother tried to speak, but Inari's statement snatched away the ground beneath her feet and the words from her mouth. "You know, mother, I doubt if you even consider me your daughter at this point." No She didn't mean it. She didn't mean the words she spoke at all. It was her pent-up rage that let loose all those hurtful words towards her mother.

She so hoped to turn back the moment, but she knew she couldn't as her mother's eyes looked at her in betrayal and hurt.

"Is that a way to talk to your mother?"

All heads moved in the voice's direction.

Tears encasing Inari's eyes eventually slithered down her cheeks one after the other at the sight of her angry father dressed in his crumbling working attire.

The man had just returned early from work with a bag of pastries in hand, only to find his daughter and wife wrangling on Christmas Eve.

I apologise to your mother. Now. " His gaze dictated the same displeased emotions his wife showed. It was undeniably painful for Inari to look into his eyes.

She couldn't go against her father. Not because he was a man and the superior of the house. but because she had never raised her voice at the person whom she respected the most and valued his love more than anyone else's in her life.

"I'm sorry, mother." She mumbled, looking down at her feet, her long hair covering the sides of her face. Her voice was low and hoarse. Words wobbled at the feeling of an enormous lump in her throat.

She was ashamed of her reckless behaviour.

She wished she could say that out loud, but she didn't have the audacity. So she did what any coward (according to her) would do in such a situation. Runaway

The woman called out to Inari when she sensed her daughter's feet dashing towards the door. But Inari's tenacity to escape the situation prevented every word of her mother's from reaching her conscious self.

Her mother tried to follow her disappearing figure through the door, but the man who stood near the entrance held her wrist, preventing her from crossing the threshold any further.

"Let her be." She needs to be alone right now," he said. But his assurance was not enough to ease the woman's motherly instincts.

"How can I leave her alone?" Didn't you see the way she looked at us? She needs me, honey. She needs us. "Please let me go." Her pleadings and cries didn't help the man loosen his grip a bit. Instead, he engulfed her in his arms and let her cry on his shoulder.

His eyes were holding back a few salty tears. He knew his daughter well. And he knew she needed a few moments alone.

Inari didn't care if her parents followed her or not. All she wished at that moment was to disappear from their lives and erase her entire existence from their memories.

Unfamiliar eyes were casting a few pitiful glances at her running figure, but none of it mattered anymore. The only thought that mattered was

She didn't deserve them.

She didn't deserve her family.

Those words were repeating in a loop inside her head.

Her feet galloped as fast as they could to distract her from the unbearable weight of the guilt crushing her chest. But soon enough, they stopped when they reached the kids' garden.

The air was so freezing that the surrounding dampness of puffy eyelids stung her vision. She had to suck in heavy inhales through her mouth, as her nose was all red and stuffy from harsh sobbing.

She shoved the cold, rusty gate aside carefully and sauntered into the empty public property, head-turning in all directions to let her sight scrutinise every light and shadow of the familiar park.

Though there were more than enough arrangements that had been made on the mayor's orders to give the city a lively touch-up for Christmas, that part seemed quite dull in the absence of any civilians. And frightening, if you count the unexpected whooshing sounds of cold wind and the crunch screeching of a few fallen leaves in the dead silence.

Inari hugged herself while internally throwing profanities at the harsh weather. It was obvious for her to shiver in the biting cold of December, considering the layers of clothes she had covered herself in. Roaming around in a simple pair of sweatshirts and favourite jeans in the winter is like mocking the winter.

She didn't think thoroughly before running away. But then again, who would?

The shoes somehow played their part in keeping her feet warm.

Small mists of air were gushing out and gathering over her mouth. If it were any other day, she would have enjoyed playing with the fog like a toddler, acting as a mighty dragon to scare those mischievous pairs of mice in her home.

She sniffed.

Then hiccuped.

Again, sniffed

Again, hiccuped.

It continued until she found a familiar bench near the clock pillar in the park.

At least the lamp had adequately illuminated the area surrounding the clock, and Inari was grateful for the only positive thing that happened to her throughout the day.

She sat down, her small nose sniffing at the cold.

The silence was palpable to her ears as she stared at the ticking clock from her seat. The hour needle was past the roman digit 'VIII'.

"Dinner would have been over by now." She mumbled, her hands involuntarily hugging her empty stomach.

Second's hand needle was skipping from one thick line to the other, emerging precious memories of her childhood buried somewhere in her innocent heart.

It was the time that she had stashed those reminiscences as she grew up. And it was the passage of time itself that had revived them at that moment.

Inari remembered it.

It was beneath the same clock where she used to play with her father for hours on weekends. It was the same bench where her mother would sit with snacks on the side and admire her playing with other children.

She looked at the space beside her with a weak smile. The words she had hurled at her mother echoed louder in her head. "What have I done?" She nestled her face in her cold palms and bawled out her agony on this lonely Christmas Eve, with no one to lean on. "I'm sorry, mother."

"Holy heavens! Why can't humans let angels sleep in peace?"

Inari was frightened upon hearing an unfamiliar voice. She looked around her nervously, her palms curled into fists because of her heightened reflexes.

She let it slide when she found no signs of their presence, thinking it might be an illusion. But her lazy feet leapt the longest distance in their sixteen years of life as soon as the same voice echoed, a scream escaping her throat unwillingly.

"I understand you humans are the most emotional animals to exist on the earth, but just for tonight, I urge you to keep your voice a little low."

She cautiously stepped back, moving closer to the clock pole and standing right beneath the glowing bulb of the lamp for better sight. "Wh-who spoke?" Her tongue shuttered while her big doe eyes moved around the space in fright, their actions akin to the oscillating pendulum.

"Down here, right behind you."

Instantly, she peeked behind the bench she was bawling on a moment ago and gasped in surprise.

There it was, the head of a man popping out from many... furry, bright feathers?

Thankfully, eyes weren't a detachable structure of the head. Because if that were possible, then Inari's eyes would have been sprawled near her feet.

"I mean no offence, but you see, I'm having my precious sleep here."

Not a single word left from his soft, plump lips reached her ears. Her mind was utterly dumbfounded by those unearthly white wings that were large enough to blanket her own body.

"Hello? " Down to earth, human."

Inari jerked her head back when she sensed his hand waving in front of her face.

"Who are you?" She screeched on top of her voice and hid behind the backrest of the bench.

"White wings, silver hair, and white clothes." You guess? Obviously not a demon. But that is not a matter of concern. He answered casually, shrugging his shoulders from under his massive feathers, eyes half-closed from sleepiness.

"What matters?" he continued while readjusting his wings a little here and there, making himself more comfortable on the grass. "Is that, please, kindly lower down your breakdown session? It would be of immense help to a poor, sleep-deprived angel such as me. " And just like that, he turned his back on her and went off to sleep on the ground.

"Angel?"

It felt as if the heavens had finally decided to liberate her from all her worries and punishments.

"You said you were an angel. You can help me then." She suggested, quickly getting away from the backrest she had taken advantage of, and crouched down near his legs. My nose is still a little pink from crying.

Her hyper-excited mind was juggling the number of solutions. The mysterious wingman could make them possible through his immortal magic, just with a single sway of his finger, as per those old tales and legends.

The angel grumbled loudly, sensing another impending task he would have to deal with. Didn't you hear me, human? I am a sleep-deprived angel."

I know you are an angel, and hence I'm asking for your help. Aren't angels meant to help humans? ... Besides, this way I will get to know if you guys are real or just a bunch of bullies making up sweet lies to fool innocent minds."

Inari ignored the rising scowl on his face and flashed him her brightest fake smile.

The holy creature didn't move and darted a stern glare down at his unlikeable intruder near his feet for a few seconds, thinking it might make her dash away. But seeing that the smile had only expanded further made him surrender to the mortal's stubbornness.

He can't perform any of his nefarious tricks on humans. Heaven will surely disown him for real this time.

"Okay! "What is it?" he asked, standing languidly on his feet, dusting his beautiful wings to remove any dirt. He didn't bother to hide the unwelcoming distaste noticeable in his melodious voice. "I hate Christmas." He muttered under his breath.

Inari frowned a little, as if someone had told her that candies were bitter and that she preferred vanilla over chocolate. "Don't you angels love Christmas?" She watched him slouching on the seat she owned before.

The said angel sighed loudly and said, "Yes, we do." But Santa snatches away all the attention during Christmas. So Christmas is his festival." He answered, his head leaning back. His large wings fluttered in the air before resting behind the backrest.

Inari used the remaining space beside him. She stared at the immortal with perplexity.

Soft silvery hair bounced in the gently blowing wind, while some falling on his brow brushed the lashes that frame his small eyelids; lips all pink and plump that would make any girl swoon over their perfection; and skin so pale and flawless that even a lamp light gained divinity when touched his face.

Inari still couldn't believe she believed in a stranger's words.

He could be a cosplayer who maybe has a thing for sleeping on the ground in the cold winter, or worse, a kidnapper lurking in the empty kid's park to hide from cops.

But then again, there was nothing not to believe in his words when his sole existence screamed heavenly. Even the specks of glitter around his lower lids appeared captivating to her eyes.

"Stop staring at me, human."

"I wasn't," she said flatly, averting her gaze.

"Yes, you were." He argued back, his plump lips flattening to a good length of arrogance.

Inari never thought that angels could be a pain in the pooch too. "You promised you would help me." She changed the topic.

Intelligence is in keeping with a diplomatic relationship with her benefactor.

"What is it?"

"Well, it's kind of embarrassing." She answered in her small, hesitant voice, her thumbs fidgeting in her lap while her eyes remained fixed on their movement.

The wingman threw a confused glance at her through the slits of his eyes, his head still leaning back, before questioning, "Why?" boyfriend problems? Sexual frustrations If so, then let me acknowledge in your brain that you are consulting the wrong agent, young lady. "

"No! That's not the matter."

Suddenly, it seemed like the weather had taken a sharp turn for Inari. The red covering from the tip of her head to her nape burned her skin like a furnace. She could even feel the smoke of embarrassment dissipating from her ears.

"Then?" He inquired further, this time staring right at her.

"Well, I fought with my family because of insignificant matters." My siblings broke my phone, and I vented my rage on my mother. I disappointed my dad with my arrogant behaviour. It was hurtful for me to look into their eyes. So I ran away.

"I see." He nodded with a "humm, showing he understood her point of view. "It's a good thing that you are still breathing and in one piece." He added a little surprise.

However, I cannot help you with this matter," he continued as he noticed Inari's sullen mien. "Because I'm a guardian angel, and my magic has its limitations." It can only protect living beings. But I can give you some guidance on how to solve such family issues. He suggested

"What's the point, then?" I mean, it's not like my parents will forgive me just for my few apologetic words. " She scoffed, her eyes once more moistened. Inari doubted if they would even need her after what she did.

They will, because they are your parents. They know you better than yourself.

"How can you be so sure about it?" she asked. Her childish curiosity made the immortal chuckle.

"I'm a guardian angel." He continued with a soft smile, "We protect the innocent souls of children upon their parents' requests and look out for them until their hearts become adults." Inari said nothing and listened attentively to him. It was the first time he had gently spoken with her since their unexpected encounter.

"And what if that didn't happen? What if my parents refuse to forgive me? "If my parents refuse to forgive me?" She queried, her eyes searching for hopeful answers in his sparkling brown eyes.

"Then I'll help you."

Inari regretted it inwardly when her heart clenched under her cage and her gut twisted into a weird knot at the sight of his beautiful smile.

The way his eyes narrowed into thin crescents of moon and his cheeks puffed out to accommodate the brightest stretch of his pink lips She knew she would regret their encounter for the rest of her life. New jingle bell feelings in her gut said so.

"Can I bite your cheeks?"

With no delay, the unearthly creature swung his large wings harshly and flew away, creating a good metre of distance between them. His previously narrowed eyes were now round and flashed with tremendous fear of losing his precious cheeks. "Stay away from me, you filthy human!" He spat while protecting his pale face with his hands.

Inari felt a powerful urge to tease the heaven-citizen further. "However, they look delicious on an empty stomach." She said, rubbing her tummy. Her innocent eyes, sniffing pink nose, and adorable pout covered the evil playfulness behind them.

Do I look like a turkey to you? Not to forget, I have offered my help not a few seconds before, you ungrateful mortal! " He sneered, his feet not hovering over the ground.

Inari couldn't hold back her sniggers any longer and broke out into bubbly fits of laughter with her hands resting on her belly. "Aww, you actually believed me?" She spoke in between.

The angel had a look of puzzlement for a moment before realisation set in. He chuckled, reflecting on his own childish behaviour, before joining the girl in a belly laugh.

And just like that, their heartfelt laughter and giggles played against the lonely silence of the empty park on that Christmas Eve. Where two hearts found comfort in each other's presence, the light of the lamp secretly cherished their pure, joyous moment happily under its golden glow.

There they formed the first knot of their new friendship that heaven had gently tugged in its secrecy.

A snowflake descends with grace, catching their eyes.

Both heads turned to look up at the vast, starry night sky as their laughter faded back into their chests.

"It's snowing," Inari mumbled, to which the silver-haired man hummed while smiling at the sky.

"We should get you home now." He said, looking at the hour's hand, "Your parents must be worried."

It was past ten.

"Where will you go after this?" she asked, worried.

"I'll be heading back to heaven and apologising for my mistake." He answered with a sigh but still smiled at the end.

Oh, how Inari wished to seize the moment and live in it forever. But she has an apology to give and a mistake to accept. She can't always run away from her responsibilities. And so she nodded and walked towards her house, but this time with a contented smile on her face that said she was not alone. Her guardian angel was beside her. and that she knew everything was going to be alright.

When Inari reached her house, she was anxious to step inside. But when she saw his assuring smile, it gave her enough courage to walk in and confess her guilt in front of her parents. She was ready for whatever came.

While she was talking to her parents, the angel remained outside, peeking through the closed window of the living room near their Christmas tree. He knew his promise had been accomplished when he saw them hugging tightly, tears of joy slipping down their faces. A knowing relief washed over his face. Suddenly, his eyes met Inari's, who was crushing both her siblings in her embrace. But before she could release the pair of mischiefmakers and rush towards the window, he was gone. Her desperate eyes searched around their garden through the window but found no one.

A warm hold on each of her shoulders made her look back at her father. Behind him stood Inari's mother with little Daniel and Nessa. "Here, Inari, put this star on the Christmas tree." Nessa said it with excitement. Inari, along with her parents, giggled at her cuteness.

She took the star and put it on their incomplete Christmas tree.

"Merry Christmas." They sang all together, admiring the Christmas star.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

 Merry Christmas ☃️🎄 (I know it's a little late, but I had a little bit of trouble before posting this chimchim one shot)I hope you enjoyed reading it

I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Stay happy, healthy, hydrated, and safe.