40.

The Christmas festivities went on in the family room, and through the crowd of children and gifts and laughter and wrapping paper, Derek hadn't noticed that Meredith wasn't in the room until she re-entered with his mother. Her nose was slightly red, and her eyes showed signs of crying. He immediately became concerned, though when he looked into her eyes, she shook her head and smiled just slightly as if to tell him that everything was alright. Her eyes deceived her, however and he could tell that there was something on her mind, something clouding that sparkle that he had seen earlier.

His eyes then went suddenly to his niece, tugging on his coat. "Santa...I love you." The little girl said, her dark curls bouncing as she grinned a bright grin.

"Santa loves you, Chelsea Lynn." Derek said with a chuckle and a 'ho, ho' as he glanced back to the couch to see Meredith sitting back in her corner, watching him with an amused look on her face. He tilted his head, and she shook hers, again trying to quell his worries about her. Derek let out a big yawn, sending the children into a fit of giggles as they watched him stretch. "Santa is getting pretty tired..." He said, watching as some of the littler ones yawned and stretched too, giggling as he stood up. "Santa should get back to his sleigh before he falls asleep sitting here..." He said, shaking his head. "You guys all better get up to bed too... You don't want Santa to fall asleep before you do... then there won't be any gifts for you to open in the morning!" He exclaimed, watching a couple of the children gasp in surprise as Derek watched them looking up at him. "Who wants to walk me to the door this year?" He asked, glancing around the room as everyone raised their hands. "Meredith... will you walk me to the door?" He said, watching her look up at the sound of her name. "Door?" He said, nodding in the direction of the door, watching her nod her head as she stood up and followed him through the crowd of children and adults as they left the room together.

They made it to the door and she started to open it for him, when he put his hand on hers. "What's going on?" He asked, watching as she looked up into his eyes.

"Nothing is going on... I'm alright... I'm just sore... and tired... and I don't feel well..." She said as she shrugged.

"And you were crying." He said, watching as she tilted her head, a slightly amused look on her face.

"And you think that you need to know everything, don't you, Derek Shepherd?"

"I do need to know everything...from the bottom of those giant stinky feet of yours, to the reason for each and every tiny little drop of salty water that comes out of your tear ducts." He said, raising his eyebrows at her.

"We'll talk later..." She said, opening the door for him.

"You promise?"

"SAY GOODBYE TO SANTA EVERYONE!" Meredith exclaimed, giving him a devilish glance.

"GOODBYE SANTA!" The sound of children and adults came screeching into the room.

"Goodbye, Santa..." Meredith said softly.

"I'll be back for you." He said slyly, shaking his head as he stepped out of the door.

"I'm sure you will." She said, blowing him a kiss as he quietly slipped out the door, watching her close the door softly behind her.

🎄🎄🎄

Everyone waited patiently in the family room, cleaning wrapping paper up as the children played with their toys before bed time. Meredith sat on the couch, smiling as Donnie carefully climbed into her lap, looking up at her with a smile as he pulled his stuffed teddy bear into his arms and cuddled it. "Aunt Meredith, are you staying over?" He asked, his blue eyes sparkling as he looked up at her.