Prologue

I was born to two people who loved each other deeply, but it wasn't until my mother passed away that I truly understood their love's magnitude. My father lost his way when she was gone. He couldn't recognize who he or I was. Though I missed my mother, it was my father's absence that hit me the hardest. He lost his sense of responsibility and protection, staring at me as if I were a stranger.

He seemed to forget I was his daughter; he used my rations for moonshine instead of food. I went hungry for days, but my memories kept me going. I could escape the reality and remember when our family was whole. That sustained me until I turned 16 and realized I needed to escape. I found excuses to stay out until the lights went off, working with Jackson to help people and make food. It didn't last long. Three months later, Kane shattered it all. He accused me of stealing my mother's bracelet, a memento, and took away my innocence. I vowed to never let anyone treat me like that again.

That was my breaking point. I tried to retrieve my bracelet from Kane's office but got caught. I didn't succeed, but I regained my bracelet. Thrown into prison, it was the happiest moment in years.

Fast forward to now. A week in solitary, they finally they decided I wasn't a threat and introduced me to Octavia Blake, a seemingly perpetually happy girl and my cellmate. Her upbeat nature slowly grew on me. She reminded me of my old self, and her smile and laughter boosted my spirits.

Octavia's trust in me developed during our Earth Skills class. She seemed nervous, considering her past as an illegal child under the floor for 16 years. The whispers and stares infuriated me. No one had the right to judge her. I held her hand and promised to protect her.

We weren't told why we were in the class, but having something to do was a relief. The classes were chaotic, Pike struggled to maintain order. One day, he snapped, attacking a boy named John. The class intervened, and I tried to help but ended up hurt.

Continuing classes, John and I healed. The last day was different, Pike was agitated. I assumed he was tired of our misfortunes. That night, we went to sleep unaware of what was to come.

Suddenly, guards entered our cell, placed strange bracelets on us, and took us to a room with other prisoners. Confusion spread as we were all rounded up. Then, we were shown a video by the Chancellor, revealing they were sending us to Earth for a second chance, a chance to redeem our crimes. It felt surreal, a mix of disbelief and anxiety.

As the video played, commotion echoed downstairs. The Chancellor's words echoed in our ears: "Your crimes have made you expendable." I tuned out the chaos. We were being sent to Earth, the supposed uninhabitable planet. Why now? Why not wait?

And so, we embarked on an uncertain journey, strangers in a changing world, bound by our pasts and the unforeseen future.