[4] Old Friends, New Enemies

'Never second guess your first instinct'

Picture of Jay.

[4] Old Friends, New Enemies

I wave bye to Bethany and take off in the opposite direction to her but not before handing her all of my bags and telling her to keep them at her house for me. She had looked like she wanted to tell me to carry my own bloody bags but I shot her a look that shut her up.

I had sensed him before I saw or heard him. A lone figure following Beth and I as we walked from the busy streets of the town. He had blended in well but not well enough to hid himself from me. Somebody hadn't done their homework on me if they thought that I was an easy target.

As I continued walking down 5th I heard footsteps following me just barely audible due to the distance between us. I let my mind go blank as I put my guard up and built the solid walls, that I had perfected, up and around my heart to stop any unwanted emotion from leaking out.

Keeping my head straight and my body relaxed I keep my breathing even and footsteps light but quick as I walk further and further away from the bustling streets full of people. 'Good' I think no one innocent will get hurt today if I can help it.

I hear two more sets of footsteps join the first ones and curse silently. I might have been able to handle one guy but three is out of my league. I continue walking forward but almost stop when I see a man walking towards me, dressed in all black.

I try not to sigh in annoyance as I realise whatever plan that these guys had in place is about to start and I was about to ruin it.

I slow down my walk realising that the footsteps behind me are getting quicker. I ignore them and watch the man in front of me who is yet to look directly at me. He reaches inside of his coat pulling something from inside of it out.

All it takes is one look at the gun for me to sprint towards the guy and knock him into the wall beside of him. I don't stop just continue running when I hear the man curse before falling to the floor. The sound of the gun skidding across the tarmac and the sound of footsteps running fills the quiet street.

I start running in the direction of an alleyway that I know of. It looks like a dead end but has a gap in the corner of the fence that's masked by the shadows.

I need to find out what they want and if its me then why they want me because I hate being blind in situations involving me.

When I enter the alley way I stop and turn around waiting for them.

The four men skid to a stop once they see me standing still, facing them with seemingly no where to run.

"Well looky what we've got here" The tallest of the four puffs out

"Go ahead because that's all your going to do to me" I reply making all of them laugh but the one who had spoken. I guess I found the one in charge "What do you want with me?" I direct the question at the tall one who looks vaguely familiar. I internally shake my head at that.

"We just want to have a chat babe"

"Then why are you packing" I shoot back, gesturing to his coat.

"Alrick sure did pick a clever bitch this time" One of the other guys mutter

"Alrick..."

"Yes he needs to realise that he isn't as high and mighty as he thinks he is" The leader takes a step forward whilst I digest his words "And you my darling" I look into his cruel eyes "Are the key to destroying him for good"

It looks like we're done talking when he reaches for his gun. I take of running towards the fence and slip out of the gap just as I hear gunshots making me fall to the floor.