6

At first, it's quiet. Just me and Enjolras, neither of us are particularly talkative so I didn't really expect anything else. I don't mind it. It gives me time to process everything. Staring up at the ceiling, I realise that this is the first time since my arrival that I have been able to take a break. Survival is paramount on the streets but here I'm safe; I can't believe that I used to take such luxuries for granted. However, there's still something bothering me; after all, I wouldn't be me if I didn't have something to worry about. Slowly, I lift my head; Enjolras jumps up immediately.
"Don't worry Enjolras, I'm fine. I just wanted to check that I'm definitely not imposing, I know this is your home and please don't feel obligated to let me stay here. I've survived before and I can do it again" I say.
In all honesty, I don't know if the last part is true but I don't want to be here if he'd rather I wasn't.
"(Y/N) (L/N)." He states simply. "What part of you're staying here don't you understand?"

He's starting to get authoritative again. Sometimes I wonder if he does it on purpose. He must do! Nobody can sound that sexy by accident! (Y/N)! You're getting carried away again! Just calm down and remember his true love is France; the revolution is his only goal!

"I know but I don't want to impose." I murmur, trying to hide my inner monologue.

"If you were imposing. I'd have sent you off to stay with Marius." He half-jokes

"Oh god no! He'd be madly in love with me by now" I joke back.

"Because your just that beautiful?" He replies sarcastically.

I laugh.

"Of course not he falls in love with every woman he meets" I reply
While giving my response I desperately try to hide the fact I'm blushing. Even though I know he didn't mean it, Enjolras calling me beautiful seems to have caused the butterflies to restart. Luckily, I don't think that he noticed.

"Yes he does!" He practically screams in response to my comment about Marius. "It's infuriating."

"I know!" I agree "we have a revolution to plan! We don't have time for your latest exploits"

It's weird I never thought I'd ever gossip with Enjolras, but alas, there's a first time for everything. We keep talking like this all afternoon, it's fun, for the first time since being here I'm actually having fun. After a while, Enjolras gets his plans out, and I decide that it's best not to bother him, so I keep quiet. Watching him work is labsolutely fascinating the fire in his eyes is unmatched. His pinpoint focus on the page. Every word he writes is like a hits like a bullet. He's precise; every shot hits it's mark. He's so infatuating. All I can do is stare. Hours pass, and I keep watching until I notice the time.
"Enjolras! it's 7:00pm." I remind him.
He looks hesitant.
"And you're sure you'll be alright?" He asks
"I've told you I'll be fine." I reassure him. "You'll all be downstairs"
"I know" he replies "I'm just making sure."

"Well, I'll be fine besides, I think Eponine is going to come up in a bit" remembering this is his property, I quickly add, "if that's okay with you, of course."
He nods.
"That's perfectly fine." he assures me.
"Now go, Have fun and change the world! I'll try not to be too jealous." I tease.
He shakes his head at me, but I know it's not in a disapproving way.

A few minutes pass, and I hear a knock at the door, of more specifically a series of knocks to the tune of 'Do You Hear The People Sing' (1/1,2/1,2/1,2). Slowly I stand and walk to the door, opening it a crack. As expected, it's Eponine. I let her in.
"So this is how the other half live" She half-jokes.
"Apparently so, at least after they've condemned their rich families." I reply.
She sits on the end of the bed and I join her. Suddenly, she starts crying. Instantly, a wave of guilt hits me.
"Did I say something wrong? I'm so sorry" I ask and desperately attempt to comfort her.
"No...It's not that..." she says hesitantly.
"What is it?" I ask.
I'm pretty sure that I know what she'll say.
"It was my father that...", she trails off.
"Eponine, I guessed that...but I don't blame you. We can't control our families." I reassure her."You saved me. That's all I care about"
With that, the two of us hug and the air has been cleared. Both of us spend the rest of the evening chatting and giggling and, for a moment, it's as though we are two regular friends. We talk about all sorts but mainly the revolution. The moment it gets complicated is when she tells me of her plans to fight in it alongside the men. Part of me wants to discourage her because I know of her future but I am also aware of the butterfly effect and how I should let the events play out as they're supposed to. After this one dilemma everything starts to hit me, all of the friends I'm making will soon be dead, (well all apart from Marius), and I will probably be dead alongside them. This revolution is destined to fail, yet it has to take place as if it doesn't or France will never be free. When you're caught up in the moment it's so easy to forget but now I can't get the image out of my head.
Eponine lying on the barricade, Marius by her side. If I survive long enough I will have to witness it up close. How could I possibly do that? Especially now that she's one of my closest friends here. Suddenly, I'm extremely nauseous and dizzy and go straight to the bathroom.

Catching a glimpse of my self in the mirror, I realise how different I look; I'm gaunt pale and extremely thin; like a walking corpse. Nothing like the hero I envisioned myself to be. But this is who I am now. There's no way to change that. All I can do is keep fighting until the end and hope to inspire the next generation of revolutionaries.

After staring at myself for what feels like forever. I hear a light knock on the door.
"Are you okay in there?" Eponine calls softly.
"Yeah, I'm fine", I reply, not entirely sure whether I mean it.
Nevertheless, I leave the bathroom and try to carry on as if everything is normal.

Not long after this, Enjolras arrives back, holding a bowl of porridge which I am incredibly grateful for. I eat it slowly due to my nausea earlier and offer half of it to Eponine. As I don't know when she last ate a decent meal. She thanks me, we share one last hug and then she leaves. Obviously, I tried to convince her to stay, but she said she didn't want to impose on Enjolras and was quite set on leaving.

Enjolras and I spend the rest of the evening going through the notes he took, and all is going rather well; that is until I ask if I can use the paper that he is holding to research the events discussed in the speech. It is a battle of wills: him vs me. The more reluctant he is to give it to me. Usually, I'd let it go, but today, I'm almost certain that he's hiding something. My fears are soon confirmed when after a long struggle, I acquire the paper and open it to find a portrait of myself printed with a generous reward next to it. How long have I been wanted for and why the hell did no one tell me?