𝘰𝘯𝘦

"𝐖𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧 𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐤𝐞𝐭𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥"

Three Years Ago

"why did you leave if you was here how would it be" bailee mumbled the lyrics wiping her face

her big cousin naheem had passed away from leukemia after a long sixteen year battle with the disease he passed away about a week ago in his sleep. bailee was crushed this was her favorite cousin, her bestfriend, her inspiration it felt weird for him to not be here bothering her. naheem was loved by their whole neighborhood so today everyone showed out in his favorite color white celebrating his life. bailee looked around the park observing everyone's  movements and faces. some people were crying, some were eating, some were singing nocap's ghetto angels like their live depended on it and some little kids were running around playing.

"you good lil bit?" carson one of naheem's good friends asked her with low red eyes

"yeah, are you?" bailee asked looking over him

carson and bailee were always going back and forth that's all they did but today they were both teary eyed and quiet. carson and naheem had been friends since elementary, he knew about his disease but never thought his friend would be gone so soon. he didn't even get to say goodbye.

"i'm straight" he mumbled pulling her into a comforting hug they both needed

"me and mine here if yours need anything" carson whispered in bailee's ear rubbing her back

"same here, take care of yourself carson" bailee said sincerely

they didn't know each other well because of the age difference and different friend groups. the only time they were around each other was when bailee was with naheem which was pretty often so they were familiar with each other but nowhere near friends. carson was also hurt deeply by the older boys death because carson felt like naheem was his only true friend, they could fight and argue and be right back laughing and joking like nothing even happened. they had a genuine friendship that was hard to come by. he couldn't believe his friend had died so suddenly it felt like a nightmare.

"bailee carson can y'all come help me?!" bailee's aunt nahemia naheem mother called out for them

they broke from their long hug walking over to bailee's aunt. nahemia was being strong for everyone else she was the glue that was keeping people together. just like naheem everyone loved her dearly she was a beautiful woman with a beautiful soul, she never complained and went to church every sunday faithfully. nahemia was the exact definition of a god-fearing woman but don't let it fool you she'll read you like you a book in the bible.

"wassup auntie?"

"can y'all hand out balloons to anyone who doesn't have one except the li kids?"

"yes ma'am" the two nodded as she handed them both the strings to 15 white balloons

the two separated handing out balloons keeping one for themselves as nahemia gathered everyone in a circle surrounding her. she tapped the head of the microphone bringing it up to her mouth shakily taking a deep breath. nahemia only had two kids, two boys naheem and nathan which was bailee's 13 year old cousin. nathan stood beside his mother holding her hand with a bright red face from crying. bailee pouted feeling her eyes weld with tears.

"i wanna thank everyone for showing out for my babyboy naheem it means so much to see all these people who knew and loved him here celebrating him and his life. i don't want us to dwell on his physical passing because his spirit is still very much alive and young. on the count of three i'd like us to release these balloons in honor of him"

"ONE..."

"TWO..."

"THREE!" nahemia counted and all the balloons were let go

"LONG LIVE NANA" bailee and carson yelled releasing their balloons

bailee pulled the white bandana out of her custom dickie suit wiping her tears that fell. she missed her cousin dearly and wasn't ready to start the next chapter of her life without him it felt wrong but she made a promise to him to keep going and make him proud and she intended to fulfill that promise.

"stay up kid" carson told her touching her shoulder

"you too" she replied back looking up at his tall figure

Copyright
nothing in this book except the names are mine! i don't own the rights to any of the music, pictures, or videos used in this book. don't steal my work please and make sure to vote and comment! welcome to inside out.

dec 2021- mo